Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot this little guy at 15 yards from my back deck. My first squirrel kill with my new bow and only 2nd squirrel kill ever. :D The arrow hit him right in the houlder and he expired instantly.I was actually shaking a little bit. This is why I love bow hunting even little guys get me.excites. I love it. I'm using DCA Hunters with a bludgeon tip and 60lb Switxhback.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Nice!!!!
Time for some good eaten

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love squirrel hunting with my bow - congrats on the kill! I'm hoping to get out after them again next week and gather up enough for a good meal. I know what you're saying about getting the shakes, too. I usually "spot and stalk" for them, creeping my way into an area where they're feeding or consistently moving through and it can be a lot tougher than most people think, especially if there are a bunch of them and you have more "eyes" to worry about. Getting into position and making a shot without getting busted, or even just coming close, is always exciting. They're not exactly a large target either, and they don't sit still for very long even when feeding. They're a lot of fun and great practice for other game - Get out there and get some more!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice shooting! I have yet to kill anything with my new bow & I'm covered up in squirrels where I hunt. What is the best tip to use for small game?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Judo tips for small game, arrow doesn't go very far usually if you can use some brush as a background and far less expensive than a good broadhead. Kills the small stuff pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Nice shooting! I have yet to kill anything with my new bow & I'm covered up in squirrels where I hunt. What is the best tip to use for small game?
There is a thread that was just up a few days ago where a guy shows how to build blunt tips with wing nuts and a screw. Weight comes out to 106 grs so it will be right on with your field tip and cost about 20 cents a head instead of $5.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Shot this little guy at 15 yards from my back deck. My first squirrel kill with my new bow and only 2nd squirrel kill ever. :D The arrow hit him right in the houlder and he expired instantly.I was actually shaking a little bit. This is why I love bow hunting even little guys get me.excites. I love it. I'm using DCA Hunters with a bludgeon tip and 60lb Switxhback.
You're addicted..... gotcha!! :teeth: Well done,.. those little critters are a challenge with a bow. Do a video bagging a Bunny on the hop and I'll get ya a...........:darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Congrats and good eats.

Don't ruin any meat with head shots. :wink:
Noticed you didn't tear him up too bad while HAMMERING that arra through his head......:chortle::chortle::chortle::drama:
Hold on big fella;.... I was just kidding!!

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a thread that was just up a few days ago where a guy shows how to build blunt tips with wing nuts and a screw. Weight comes out to 106 grs so it will be right on with your field tip and cost about 20 cents a head instead of $5.
I made a few but decided to get the Saunders bludgeon tips just in case I miss cause they break rather easily. I plan on doing a lot of stump thumping after deer season and these bludgeon tips bounce right off. They are $12 for a 4 pack.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've moved away from the Saunders bludgeon tips because I've had quite a few break on me recently after direct hits with trees, rocks, etc while goofing around stump shooting. The part of the ferrule that the rubber stopper is molded onto has pushed right through the end, kind of like the end of the handlebars poking through the grip on a bmx bike without end plugs, rendering them useless. I've had it happen with both newer and older heads - I think I only had two shots on the last one that broke - but I still usually carry one in my quiver for a shot up into a tree where I'm worried about the arrow possibly getting stuck. The bludgeons also have more of a tendency to "skip," rather than dig when they hit the ground which can be annoying sometimes. I've been using regular field tips with Adder small game collars behind them and have been pretty happy with them (the squirrels, not so much).

A little practice tip - I like to take foam practice golf balls and randomly throw them out in the yard or poke a needle with some string through them and hang them from some low branches and see how many times in a row I can hit them. With the ones on the ground I almost play bocce - throw it out, hit it and see where it takes off to and try to hit it again without changing my position or only changing it enough to where I can actually see the target sitting down in the grass. It's good practice for both shooting and estimating yardages, and I get a hoot out of seeing them take off just like a golf shot after a really solid hit; I've lost more than a couple after they launched themselves into the fields beyond the yard. For this type of practice I do use the Saunders Bludgeons because the other heads just end up stuck in the foam golf balls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts