Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all! I was hoping you bear guys could shoot me a few pointers :)

I'm in central Wisconsin near the Iola / Waupaca area

I'll be placing my first bait or two out in the next week or so in a hallowed out stump. I have access to free clean out feed from a local farm. The feed consists of molasses, sunflower seeds, corn, & mostly protein pellets. Im hoping I can keep that as my majority. I plan on putting in peanut butter, marshmallows, chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, & corn syrup in to flavor it up. I have heard I should add anise too?

Also- I've read bait sites are usually better if they're close to a water source. Any information is appreciated! :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just killed my first black bear a few weeks ago in Quebec. We ran our own baits and used left over donuts from our local Dunkin Donuts. We sprayed anise while baiting and hung beavers too. Sounds like you have it figured out and the sweets will bring them in. Good luck and Shoot straight!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Not to criticize... but that doesn't exactly sound like hunting to me. Is it standard practice to bait so heavily for bear? I've never gone, but have considered doing a Canadian bear hunt. Guess i'm more curious if the baiting comes with the territory when hunting bear, and if I could expect that kind of experience (hunting over a bait pile) with an outfitter.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Not to criticize... but that doesn't exactly sound like hunting to me. Is it standard practice to bait so heavily for bear? I've never gone, but have considered doing a Canadian bear hunt. Guess i'm more curious if the baiting comes with the territory when hunting bear, and if I could expect that kind of experience (hunting over a bait pile) with an outfitter.
I've never gone for bear either (I actually have a big soft spot for them for some reason) but have no problems with people who do. I do share your feelings about heavy baiting though. I know it's all part of the game but I'm not real into it. Loses the "hunt" part for me personally. Me an my Pops have this debate with my Uncles all the time. All in fun though and want everyone to hunt however they'd like long as we're all hunting I'm cool!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Oh yea almost forgot. Good luck on your first bear hunt "cwanty03". Has to be an exciting animal to hunt for sure. Don't forget the pics when you get back!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes this is standard practice. 95% of bear hunting videos you watch is bears hunted over baits. It is what it is. It'ss the most effective way

·
Vendor
25,413 Posts
Hunting bear over baits is way more successful at killing bears than wounding them. One is able to get the bear up close and personnel 10- 15 yards and if the bait is placed properly will make for a perfect broadside shot. A double lung shot will bring a bear down quickly. Spot and stalk is way more challenging and ends up in a bigger % of bears being wounded because of unknown yardage and not getting a clear, clean, broadside shot. It can and has been done, but there are way too many wounded needlessly. For the beginning and average bear bow hunter, baiting is good. Leave the spot and stalk to the ones who have been there done that many times. jmoymmv

To the op Vanilla syrup smells good and taste good. Vanilla extract smells good but is very bitter tasting.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I baited bears when I lived in Oregon. It was legal way back then.
My opinion, use a variety of stuff if you can and if its legal.
Fryer grease, meat scraps, fish guts/heads, paisteries, grains that have molasses or jello or some sweetners added, and apples.
I used all of these and had multiple bears visiting my baits.
I think lots of bait is important.
Just returned from an Alaska brown bear hunt where baiting was legal. They used mostly popcorn, lots of it. And they sloshed lots of fryer greas on it.
The brown bears did not cooperate, but the blacks did, shot a nice one.
Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You need to read more about bear hunting, and hunting in general.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You need to read more about bear hunting, and hunting in general.
Believe me growing up in Michigan and hunting whitetail I know all about baiting lol...

Sorry like I said just have no experience bear hunting so I was curious. If that's standard fair then I am not one to criticize and as long as hunters are enjoying themselves and the outdoors I have no qualms with the way anyone hunts. It's iust that Baiting clashes with my romanticized idea of hunting is all. Always has... But i don't hold it against anyone.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies!

I have never seen a bear with my own two eyes within 45 miles of where I'll be hunting, if I sat without a bait Id never even see one! I'm hoping I can get 1 to hit my bait!

·
Registered
40,215 Posts
Believe me growing up in Michigan and hunting whitetail I know all about baiting lol...

Sorry like I said just have no experience bear hunting so I was curious. If that's standard fair then I am not one to criticize and as long as hunters are enjoying themselves and the outdoors I have no qualms with the way anyone hunts. It's iust that Baiting clashes with my romanticized idea of hunting is all. Always has... But i don't hold it against anyone.
You'll get over that romance thing when a big bear shows up. And they all look big at first.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I'm hoping I can get 1 to hit my bait!
Usually that's not a problem but...

Me and a bud were baiting bear in southern Maine six or seven years back. That part of the state doesn't have a high concentration of bears but they are there. I had a deer hunting spot that had a bear frequenting it and it almost always seemed to take a dump on a gravel road almost every time it crossed it. I had a mineral lick in the area and my camera picked up a shot of the bear.

We set up a bait in the general area and it never got hit the entire season. It was just the way that bear used the area and the winds weren't right for him to nose it. The following year we moved the bait just two or three hundred yards and it was hit the first week.

Anise paste or oil is hard to beat for a calling agent. Dip/smear some on a rag, hang it six feet off the ground and they will find it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you can place your bait on a water source do so, my bait site is on a river, the bears cross it to get to my bait, lots of food for bears along a river or creek.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I'd give up on the "hollowed out stump" idea. If you have bears hitting it, the stump won't last long. Besides...you need something to make the bear have to work to get the bait. If legal, a 55 gal drum with a smallish access hole. Or, you might consider covering the bait with logs every time you place it. I know it is easy for a bear to swipe a log out of the way, but it at least keeps them there longer. I hunted MN several years running our own baits and we used logs. We also stayed strictly with sweets to avoid having wolves take over the baits. When we first started the bait we tied a carp to the top of a tree thin enough that we could bend it down to the ground. That put the carp 15 or so feet up in the air to act as a call bait. Lots of stink getting blown around.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you!

If you can place your bait on a water source do so, my bait site is on a river, the bears cross it to get to my bait, lots of food for bears along a river or creek.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good stuff, thank you! No animal bi-products allowed here in Wisco!

Our baits have to be covered as well, they'll have to work a little bit....

I'd give up on the "hollowed out stump" idea. If you have bears hitting it, the stump won't last long. Besides...you need something to make the bear have to work to get the bait. If legal, a 55 gal drum with a smallish access hole. Or, you might consider covering the bait with logs every time you place it. I know it is easy for a bear to swipe a log out of the way, but it at least keeps them there longer. I hunted MN several years running our own baits and we used logs. We also stayed strictly with sweets to avoid having wolves take over the baits. When we first started the bait we tied a carp to the top of a tree thin enough that we could bend it down to the ground. That put the carp 15 or so feet up in the air to act as a call bait. Lots of stink getting blown around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts