Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i got hold of a bow press i have been wanting to shorten my draw length on my bow for a couple of months now. I got the courage to do it today after spending months reading up on how to go about making the changes to shorten my draw length. I have been feeling that the draw is a bit long but by how much i have no idea so i proceeded to experiment with twisting.

The bow in question is a Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus with #4 spiral X cams.

After doing some initial measurements, marking the cams, and taking photos i set about twisting the string up. i added 8 full twists to the bow string and i can feel the difference in my back muscles, big smile from me maybe this is going to work.

HMMMMM so after letting the bow out of the press i checked the marks i made on the cams as a reference for how the adjustments went, and no surprise the lines had moved rotating the cams towards the riser.

I promptly checked my notes from my various sources over the last few months readings to work out how to get the cams back to where they were before i had shortened the bowstring, this pointed me in the direction of twisting the control cable (cable with 2 ends) no worries i added 7 full twists to the control cable.

Got the top cam back to the same mark i had made on cams prior to my fiddling. This is where i came a bit unstuck.

The bottom cam did not move back into its marks like the top cam did??? I started to get a bit worried here and took the bow press off and begun to rock slowly in the corner of a dark room. It seems i have mucked up something along the way.

i have checked measurements after changes and i noticed the brace height has gone down a little, the AtA has shrunk by 1/8", nocking point has moved slightly up. But i did expect some changes after all i was changing the DL so something has to change.
Questions are:

Do i just go ahead whilst i am in a twisting mood and twist the buss cable to get some valley back and go out and creep tune the bow now?

Should i take out the 7 twists i put into the control cable and accept that this is now where the cams will be sitting in future? And then proceed to creep tuning the bow with its new DL?

Do i worry about getting the AtA back to original measurements or just accept that this is where it is going to be now since i have shortened the DL?

any advice will be appreciated i am really wanting to work on my own bow and have to start somewhere i suppose.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I haven't worked on one but I believe, twisting the bowstring, and untwisting the other strings will rotate your cams a bit and shorten your draw length. You could also use a tiny dloop

1 - 2 of 2 Posts