Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my fletching stuff setup and have been fletching and refletching old arrows for practice before doing my new arrows.

4 arrows fletched so far (same 2 arrows 2x)

Using an Arizona EZ Fletch and every time I've had one vane just a touch forward. I nudged each vane down tight against the base of the EZ and closed it slowly so the arms didn't snap closed.

Why am I getting this? Also, do most of you add the little dap of glue to each end of the vane after they are on or am I wasting glue?

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the same jig. I have found that if the arrow is not perfectly straight out of the jig it can affect vane placement. One thing I tried was to manually push the arms up almost the whole way then use the spring handle on the bottom. Let me know how it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same jig. I have found that if the arrow is not perfectly straight out of the jig it can affect vane placement. One thing I tried was to manually push the arms up almost the whole way then use the spring handle on the bottom. Let me know how it works

I'll try that thanks. I was looking at that and was wondering if maybe I could rig up something, a grommet maybe, to hold it in the center.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey I'm not the only one that is having this problem! I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I always have this problem. And I can answer no your not wasting glue by putting tips of glue on. That really helps from the vane ripping up when passing through objects. I always do that and it works great!

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
It might bother you but it won't effect accuracy one bit. Some guys stagger vanes on purpose and some even say it makes your arrows more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sometimes you have a dab of invisible glue hardened in the jig that messes with the vane placement when you flip the jig arms up.

Soak the jig in an acetone bath for an hour and all glue disappears and the vanes line up perfect again.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you have a dab of invisible glue hardened in the jig that messes with the vane placement when you flip the jig arms up.

Soak the jig in an acetone bath for an hour and all glue disappears and the vanes line up perfect again.
I always check it under a light after I remove the arrow. One tiny bit so far. I was worried I wasn't using enough glue, (4 dots per vane/ spread with a tooth pick) but my first round came off harder than the factory blazers.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might bother you but it won't effect accuracy one bit. Some guys stagger vanes on purpose and some even say it makes your arrows more forgiving.
I get that, but why not try to get it perfect?

·
Registered
458 Posts
What type of glue do you use rduchateau2954? I have yet to figure out the right amount to get them like that. Sadly usually all of my vanes come off with one hard pull or shooting through a cardboard box pulls them off!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What type of glue do you use rduchateau2954? I have yet to figure out the right amount to get them like that. Sadly usually all of my vanes come off with one hard pull or shooting through a cardboard box pulls them off!

Gorilla super glue gel. I like it, it gives me enough time to putz around and when I don't pay attention I can still get my fingers apart.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ohh okay. I have triad that. I'm gonna try just regular liquid super glue. I'm gonna try 2 little dabs then I'll just spread out with a tooth pick.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohh okay. I have triad that. I'm gonna try just regular liquid super glue. I'm gonna try 2 little dabs then I'll just spread out with a tooth pick.

Maybe it's the prep? I did the comet and scuff pad cleaning then wiped the shaft and vanes with alcohol.

4 dabs, toothpick lengthwise to spread, then across to remove excess.

They are on there to stay, even when I reused the vanes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Use the tiniest amount of glue humanly possible. If you use as much glue as you are using the vane will slide on the shaft when the arms close. Use denatured alcohol but not rubbing alcohol.
In fact, a hot water rinse and air dry without alcohol will work but do not dry with a cloth that was dried with fabric softener or a dryer sheet or a paper towel, they leave residue behind.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use the tiniest amount of glue humanly possible. If you use as much glue as you are using the vane will slide on the shaft when the arms close. Use denatured alcohol but not rubbing alcohol.
In fact, a hot water rinse and air dry without alcohol will work but do not dry with a cloth that was dried with fabric softener or a dryer sheet or a paper towel, they leave residue behind.
Okay thanks. I tried to let it air dry but i either didn't rinse well enough, or the hard water I have left residue. I'm leaning towards the latter, hence the wipe down.

So basically the smallest amount of glue possible that will cover the length of the vane?

·
Registered
655 Posts
i like the two dabs on each end, but i'm picky and trim the excess off with a razor when it's setup. cant stand the gobs of glue on the finished arrow.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well the arms of my Arizona ez fletch is soaking in acetone as we speak! Hope it works and takes the glue off!

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
One of the reason I do not use the tower jigs. Yes they are quicker, but I feel they are not as consistent. I only do the dab of glue on the front. So no need for the rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts