Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted the plunger and rest myself. Then I had Cabela's do my peep and nock ring. Then I put my sight on and tried to dial everything in. My sight has to be set crazy low to get elevation decent at 20 yards so I'm thinking something is fundamentally wrong with nock ring and/or arrow rest. The rest is adjustable but can't go any higher than it is so wondering if nock ring is too high? I am going to replace my sight as I'm not a big fan of it but it doesn't look like a new sight will be any better as far as having to be set extremely low. Let me know if different more detailed pics will help and I'll get them posted as soon as I can. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nock point may be a little high. You probably need to lower your your anchor to your chin to get the sight elevated. I see a plunger and rest, so you are using fingers, not a release?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I mounted the plunger and rest myself. Then I had Cabela's do my peep and nock ring. Then I put my sight on and tried to dial everything in.
Here's the problem. The peep needs to be set after the sight is on. The peep is put in the general area, but not tied. With the sight on (in the middle of it's vertical range for a slider), the shooter closes their eyes, draws back and obtains anchor. At that point they open their eyes. The peep and sight should be in alignment. If it is not it is adjusted so that it is. The shooter lets down and repeats the process. If the shooter draws and anchors with their eyes open they will unconsciously adjust head angle to line peep and sight up. With their eyes closed, it eliminates that tendency. If there is no sight on the bow, then there is nothing to align the peep and eye with. If the shooter isn't involved in setting the peep then it will also throw things off. There is no set place for the peep. It is all dependent on the shooter's body.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nock point may be a little high. You probably need to lower your your anchor to your chin to get the sight elevated. I see a plunger and rest, so you are using fingers, not a release?
Correct, fingers. Anchor is thumb knuckle right at the point where jaw bone starts curving up towards ear. Would I need to lessen the draw length?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the problem. The peep needs to be set after the sight is on. The peep is put in the general area, but not tied. With the sight on (in the middle of it's vertical range for a slider), the shooter closes their eyes, draws back and obtains anchor. At that point they open their eyes. The peep and sight should be in alignment. If it is not it is adjusted so that it is. The shooter lets down and repeats the process. If the shooter draws and anchors with their eyes open they will unconsciously adjust head angle to line peep and sight up. With their eyes closed, it eliminates that tendency. If there is no sight on the bow, then there is nothing to align the peep and eye with. If the shooter isn't involved in setting the peep then it will also throw things off. There is no set place for the peep. It is all dependent on the shooter's body.
I will try this once I get home to see where the peep lines up. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I will try this once I get home to see where the peep lines up. Thank you!
And if possible, avoid Cabelas for any work done on your bow. Go to an actual archery shop. If they were willing to set your peep without following this procedure, then they prove yet again they don't know how to set up bows.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Post a picture of what you are doing now. Index finger should be against lower jaw. You move the peep as described above after you have established good anchor. Just line the string up with the riser and shoot around the peep for now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if possible, avoid Cabelas for any work done on your bow. Go to an actual archery shop. If they were willing to set your peep without following this procedure, then they prove yet again they don't know how to set up bows.
The issue was timing and my local Archery World having poor customer service so went to Cabela's mostly out of spite. As usual, I showed "them"... I do have a better shop about an hour away that I fully intend on going to when schedule allows.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The issue was timing and my local Archery World having poor customer service so went to Cabela's mostly out of spite. As usual, I showed "them"... I do have a better shop about an hour away that I fully intend on going to when schedule allows.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post a picture of what you are doing now. Index finger should be against lower jaw. You move the peep as described above after you have established good anchor. Just line the string up with the riser and shoot around the peep for now.
When I get home in 3.5ish hours I'll get some picks up.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Lacey, Washington. Archery World about 15 minutes from the house. Skookum Archery about 50-60 minutes away. Only places I know of.
I thought so. O'Connell's Archery is a lot closer to you. Just north of Shelton, on Hwy 3. Just opened in July. And yeah, Archery World kinda sucks.

What bow do you have?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought so. O'Connell's Archery is a lot closer to you. Just north of Shelton, on Hwy 3. Just opened in July. And yeah, Archery World kinda sucks.

What bow do you have?

Oh I will check O'connell's out for sure! I have an Archery Republic Alliance bow. 44" ATA designed for finger shooters.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Lucky Shot is about 15 minutes closer to me, do you recommend O'Connell's more?
That's rough, I think that Lucky Shot is a great shop, and I've had a lot of work done there and bought several bows. They even have an indoor range that's open year round.

On the other hand, I actually help out at O'Connell's (because it's only 15 min from my house), so there's that. Really, though I wouldn't steer you away from Lucky Shot, but would love to even just have you check out O'Connell's.

I can say that neither of us carry Archery Republic bows.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's rough, I think that Lucky Shot is a great shop, and I've had a lot of work done there and bought several bows. They even have an indoor range that's open year round.

On the other hand, I actually help out at O'Connell's (because it's only 15 min from my house), so there's that. Really, though I wouldn't steer you away from Lucky Shot, but would love to even just have you check out O'Connell's.

I can say that neither of us carry Archery Republic bows.
Unless the universe dictates otherwise, I'll check out O'Connell's tomorrow after work. I'll be there probably around 4:30-5 depending on traffic. Kind of excited!

The only reason my group and I do anything with Archery World is it's location and indoor range. The guys at the pro shop are cool but very...anti fingers for lack of a better term. Maybe better to say they're kind of closed minded to what they aren't into? Awesome people to talk to at the range and hang out with while shooting. When I brought them my new bow, they wouldn't touch it without manufacturers instructions on how to adjust draw length. Others in my group have had issues with them too with simple things like getting into a release aid and what was charged for work.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Unless the universe dictates otherwise, I'll check out O'Connell's tomorrow after work. I'll be there probably around 4:30-5 depending on traffic. Kind of excited!

The only reason my group and I do anything with Archery World is it's location and indoor range. The guys at the pro shop are cool but very...anti fingers for lack of a better term. Maybe better to say they're kind of closed minded to what they aren't into? Awesome people to talk to at the range and hang out with while shooting. When I brought them my new bow, they wouldn't touch it without manufacturers instructions on how to adjust draw length. Others in my group have had issues with them too with simple things like getting into a release aid and what was charged for work.
It's tough. Most non-trad archers don't use fingers so that's an issue you may find every where. O'Connell's owner, Neal, just started doing trad himself, and has pretty much been a compound shooter, so finger shooting is not really a known quantity. It's a family owned business so the feeling there is a lot more casual.

As far as adjusting the bow itself, I would rather a shop say that without a manual they won't work on it, as opposed to assuming they know what they're doing and screwing something up. With all the different bow manufacturers we carry, we always refer to manufacturer instructions when we first work on a bow. Every one is different, and how you adjust one is not necessarily how you adjust another. The tough part is that you are dealing with a custom shop bow that has no dealers outside CA. Finding anyone that's going to know how to work on it without manufacturer instructions is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's tough. Most non-trad archers don't use fingers so that's an issue you may find every where. O'Connell's owner, Neal, just started doing trad himself, and has pretty much been a compound shooter, so finger shooting is not really a known quantity. It's a family owned business so the feeling there is a lot more casual.

As far as adjusting the bow itself, I would rather a shop say that without a manual they won't work on it, as opposed to assuming they know what they're doing and screwing something up. With all the different bow manufacturers we carry, we always refer to manufacturer instructions when we first work on a bow. Every one is different, and how you adjust one is not necessarily how you adjust another. The tough part is that you are dealing with a custom shop bow that has no dealers outside CA. Finding anyone that's going to know how to work on it without manufacturer instructions is going to be difficult.
As someone who always seems to gravitate towards unique things I get that. Maybe I got lucky-ish at Cabela's as far as adjusting draw length goes. The guy was excited to tackle something new to him and he showed me a little bit of how it works so I can hopefully pass it on. Honestly if I had a bow press, I would do it myself. Never been afraid to dig in to something new and I'm more than confident in my hands to achieve greatness and more often to thoroughly screw something up and then learn how to fix.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
As someone who always seems to gravitate towards unique things I get that. Maybe I got lucky-ish at Cabela's as far as adjusting draw length goes. The guy was excited to tackle something new to him and he showed me a little bit of how it works so I can hopefully pass it on. Honestly if I had a bow press, I would do it myself. Never been afraid to dig in to something new and I'm more than confident in my hands to achieve greatness and more often to thoroughly screw something up and then learn how to fix.
The Cabelas guys don't know enough to be worried about screwing stuff up. We get a lot of business from them, as well as Sportsman's in Silverdale and lately, Archery World. My first bow came from Cabelas, and 6 months later took it to Lucky Shot to get it properly tuned. They spend over an hour getting at shoot properly. The bow was massively out of spec, out of tune and massive cam lean. We ended up replacing the strings and cables and finally got it shooting bullets.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts