Archery Talk Forum banner

First time shooting

648 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CherokeeGal
Hey ladies, Got my bow in last week!!! Shot it for my first time and was totally hooked! Been shooting constantly for almost a week, can't get enough. I was just wondering what it was like the first few times everyone else shot. The arm which I hold the bow ( my right 'cause I'm left handed ) is very sore. I was wondering if thats normal for the first little bit because I'm using mucsles I dont usually use. Or if it's not normal and I'm doing something terribly wrong! I know most women shoot a few here and there but I can't seem to stop once I start shooting! I wanna keep going!
I was also looking for a few tips on how you ladies all learned good form and such. I'm currently just trying to get comfortable with the bow, and learning learning as much as I can.
Thanks! =D
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
861 Posts
Getting a little sore for a while is normal. I swear when I first started shooting I lived off of Icy Hot for the sore muscles. As for form there are some great instructions here on AT, or you can do what I did which was watch the best shooters in your area and try to immitate what they do. Welcome to the wonderful addictive world of archery!

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Yes, the sore muscles are normal. I'm sitting here with a huge ache across my shoulders and back this morning, lol.

There are a lot of things you can do to practice. Watch and pick up everything you can from the best shooters at any range or club you go to. Most will be willing to answer questions or give advise, don't be afraid to talk to them. I still run through a checklist with every shot I take. I make sure my feet are placed right, check my anchor points, make sure my hip is not cocked forward, turn my elbow out (very important to avoid bruising), make sure im not gripping my bow..etc. Be very conscious of each step every time until it becomes a habit.

Then just practice as much as you can. Avoid shooting when you are tired, because it will frustrate you. I started only shooting 3 arrows at a time, then pulling.. did that about 4 or 5 times, then rested and did it again. The muscles will build up quickly. Above all, keep it fun. When yo get frustrated go do something else and come back to it later.

· Registered
5 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that you are keeping your right shoulder(since your a left handed shooter, as am I) relaxed. I find if I shoot for too long I start to let my should bunch up to my neck and that can get very sore very fast. Just a tip.

· Registered
234 Posts
Then just practice as much as you can. Avoid shooting when you are tired, because it will frustrate you. I started only shooting 3 arrows at a time, then pulling.. did that about 4 or 5 times, then rested and did it again. The muscles will build up quickly. Above all, keep it fun. When yo get frustrated go do something else and come back to it later.
I totally agree. I can tell when I get tired because I start quick shooting. I also started shooting with just three arrows. I'd shoot 3 take a break, shoot 3 take a break. Now I shoot about 12 arrows and I'm ready for a break.

· Registered
147 Posts
sore is normal... but if you need advise about your form... Sean will be happy to tell you:rolleyes:... hahaha....:set1_rolf2:... Okay.. don't tell him I said that sarcastically... I know he is just trying to help me, but sometimes I just want to puke at how perfect he is:vom::vom:.. but I do love him anyway:love:... but seriously, keep practicing... I am new as well and like you, my arms were sore, but I just couldn't stop.... have fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.