Archery Talk Forum banner

first time turkey hunting need pointers

543 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  link06
Turkeys are becoming abundant in my neck of woods. I am thinking about hunting this spring. I dont know first thing about tkey hunting. Suppose I will use my DB ground blind and my bow. Would assume I need some sort of call. Other than camo, I really dont know if I need anything else? What is best time of day to hunt tkey? Is wild turkey any good to eat? Anytime? Thanks in advance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Well to begin with i would immediately start practicing with a call, whether it be a slate call, mouth diaphragm, or box call. I would also get out in the woods and start scouting to get a general idea of where the birds roost at night, and where they go after they fly down from roost. Find some good areas to setup your blind by looking where turkeys have been scratching on the ground, or where some strutting zones are by wing-marks on the ground. Other than that, turkey hunting is kind of a learn-as-you-go process. If you have someone that has hunted turkey before that would be willing to call for you for your first hunt that would probably help out too. My dad called for me my first couple of turkey hunts, but I've started doing it on my own now. Good luck!

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
solid advice brandon. i am going to be hunting with a buddy. what type of call is easiest to use. and how do you know where the turkey roosts at night?? Do they make nests in a tree? This is brand new to me.

· I Got Serious!
3,398 Posts
First off once you start you will be hooked, it's quite a rush hearing a gobble right on top of you.Also wild turkey in my opinion is some of the best meat there is, I deep fry mine.A good call for beginners honestly is a push button call, the one from primos sounds great.If at all possible go out a week before season before light and blow on an owl call to find there roost, unless you already know where that is. Or you can try and roost them in the evening if you can do it without spooking them. If you can find the roost and get within reasonable distance your chances of getting a shot are fairly good, given you are concealed.A couple hen decoys would also serve you well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.