Archery Talk Forum banner

First trad deer! Public ground in VA

1185 Views 28 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  chadg01
Shot with a recurve my dad had custom made in the 90s and gave to me a few years back. This is the first deer killed with this bow and my first trad deer ever!
Came into 18 yards heart and lung he ran 75 yards and piled up!!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bow is a custom bow made by Lynn Harrelson.
It's 60" and 58# @28 I draw to 30 so probably 60 plus pounds for me. My arrows are 400 spine goldtip trads and broadhead was a 135 grain ace with a 100 grain broadhead adapter for glue ons, total arrow weight 626 grains. The arrow passed through all the way to the fletchings and broke off unfortunately I couldn't find the broadhead side.

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,602 Posts
The bow is a custom bow made by Lynn Harrelson.
It's 60" and 58# @28 I draw to 30 so probably 60 plus pounds for me. My arrows are 400 spine goldtip trads and broadhead was a 135 grain ace with a 100 grain broadhead adapter for glue ons, total arrow weight 626 grains. The arrow passed through all the way to the fletchings and broke off unfortunately I couldn't find the broadhead side.

Sounds like some serious hardware. I can’t effectively or accurately pull more than fifty pounds, I am a firm believer that you should be pulling the heaviest weight you can accurately shoot, for me that’s 47 pounds. Great deer for sure, A bummer you didn’t find that broadhead, to mount on the antler mount plaque, at least that’s would I would do. 😀

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like some serious hardware. I can’t effectively or accurately pull more than fifty pounds, I am a firm believer that you should be pulling the heaviest weight you can accurately shoot, for me that’s 47 pounds. Great deer for sure, A bummer you didn’t find that broadhead, to mount on the antler mount plaque, at least that’s would I would do. [emoji3]
yeah it is, been shooting it since i was a teenager. That's what I'm thinking I live in a camper full time so not a lot of room for a full mount

1 - 20 of 29 Posts