Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Years ago I tried archery with a terrible little compound bow. I liked shooting arrows at targets, I just didn't like the compound action... Basically, I think I'd really enjoy a traditional bow. I don't really plan on hunting anything with the bow, at least for a couple years. I'd like to be able to switch from targets to deer eventually though, without buying a new bow. (I've gathered that a low draw weight is beneficial to practice, but there's a certain weight you have to have to hunt with. I have good upper body strength, if that makes a difference.) Can I get a recomendation for some starting equipment? A low maintenence bow for around $300 would be cool. I don't know who the good manufactures are, or who has a reputable website.

Thank you for the help,
-Robert

·
Registered
174 Posts
what I did was buy a used bow on Ebay for less than $100. I figure I'll use it to learn with and eventually learn what I want in a bow. Then I'll know better what to spend my money on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Get a low poundage Quinn Stallion. Only new bow I know that will fit your budget. They are great bows and will shoot with very expensive custom bows. You can get heavier limbs later. If you don't like it you can sell it and lose very little money. Make sure to learn how to match arrows to the bow and start shooting. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
May I suggest a take down recurve in the 30-40# range?Like RHC says you can get heavier limbs later,for now you just want to learn to shoot and lighter is better for that.:wink:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
ok, most, if not everybody here will disagree with me. But my first trad bow was a 50# longbow. While lighter draw weights are beneficial to learn what a shot is supposed to feel like. 40-50# is light enough, and legal to hunt with. Let the flaming begin. I'm ready

Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts