Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help and guidance from the guys here!

I arrowed a young doe at 22 yards during NY's early archery season (an oportunity to use unfilled tags from last fall). I hit just behind the shoulder, but high, and spined her. She went down on the spot. I put a second arrow in her neck to help finish things sooner.

Equipment details: Hoyt Pro Medalist riser, Hoyt Gold Medalist carbon limbs, 42# at 28" (I draw 31"). Gold Tip XT Traditional 5575, full length with Zwickey Delta 170gr. two-blade broadhead, Easton Tracer nock, Black Widow super leather tab, Summit Viper tree stand.

I shot from the same tree where I killed my first deer with a bow (3 pt. buck; Mathews Q2) and the doe was standing about six feet from the same spot.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera (and my drag rope; used my belt) and didn't get any photos. I'm off for almost two more weeks for bow hunting and I hope to get another opportunity when I remember the camera!

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
Good going bud, sure does make it sweet when it all goes full circle doesn't it.

Congrats man.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
24,954 Posts
NY early season????? what?

when the heck did that start? please give me more details

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

There was a great feeling of accomplishment when I saw that arrow hit home and the deer tip over. :)

Might be time to put the compound bows on eBay....

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NY early season????? what?

when the heck did that start? please give me more details

There has been an early archery season in NY for as long as I can remember... it's the last four days in September and you can use any unused tags from last fall (except Deer Management Permit tags).

You better get out there... only two days left!

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Congratulations. Nothing so satisfying...

Got me a deer early today
Now I've got dinner on my tray
It was a young doe who gave herself
And my arrow stayed steady on the shelf

Cool.....

Much Aloha... :cool: :beer:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There has been an early archery season in NY for as long as I can remember... it's the last four days in September and you can use any unused tags from last fall (except Deer Management Permit tags).

Edit to add: I think it's Northern Zone only.....

·
Registered
24,954 Posts

what zone are you in? i heard you can in the northern zone.

im in the southern zone. no body i know hunts this early in the season so im guessing southern zone doesnt have this option.:(

that would be sick to use last years tags and try for a early doe.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
great job. 22 yds is not a gimme when it comes to the real thing.

congrats

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I filled my other "antlerless" tag this morning! :)

A big doe walked from behind me, directly under my stand (never even stopped to take a sniff) and at about 12 yards out in front of me, quartered to her left, stopped, and bent down to pick up an acorn. I let loose a 170gr. Zwickey Delta 2-blade that double-lunged her. She ran about 40 yards and collapsed in sight of my stand.

I have one more tag; an "either sex." I have a few more days of vacation left to fill it. I haven't seen a buck yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Congrats

1 - 20 of 21 Posts