Archery Talk Forum banner

First week of October....who's had success in the Midwest?

937 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  P DOG
With the season starting next week and the weather is going to cooperate here in Indiana, I'm curious how many of you midwesterners have had success the first week of October. I want to see some successful hunters to help me get more excited about early season hunting.

I know lots of seasoned hunters don't get too excited until around Halloween, including myself. But with the forecast of high's in the upper 50's to low 60's and lows in the upper 30's to low 40's, I'm excited about the early season this year.

I've got some early season stands between the corn and bedding area.

Post the day of the month, time of day and area of setup (corn, beans, inbetween areas and etc....) and state you shot it. Pictures are of course welcome. Thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
Well its still Sept ..??

I had some on the 24th.
Big doe, 100gn mag ST, 20yd shot qurtering away a bit. Double lunger, 50yd recovery. Hoyt Havoctec bow. I kinda like that name........:wink:
This was how I found her.
:eek:
Mushroom Adaptation Fungus Penny bun Plant

· Registered
748 Posts
did you use the new hoyt havok baseball bat on that doe???? that thing looks like it was beaten to death with all that blood everywhere... awesome pic...:darkbeer:

· Registered
96 Posts
I shot my biggest buck to date on Oct. 5 2001 at six in the evening over beans. Finally had him scored last year he went 162 and some change. Ill try to get a picture on here.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Here in illinois for me its the first few weeks are pretty slow due to warmer weather but you still can see deer,mainly basket racks and does,ocassionally you hear about someone shootin a good buck early in the year but its rare.depends on your huntin pressure in and around your area.

· Registered
520 Posts
I've come to believe that I shouldn't hunt until Oct 25th. Would just rather still have the element of surprise when the big boys are starting to move in daylight hours. It's just generally too hot in the early part. Have shot 100" bucks early, but not really what I'm looking for.

· Registered
9,481 Posts
Opening morning last season....sitting in the middle of a swamp...bagged a nice doe...hunting partner missed that morning , but connected that evening on the edge of a bean field....can't kill a deer if you are not in the woods. If it is going to be above 65 degrees...probably stay home...
Solo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.