Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up a bow for the first time this March. Went to five 3D shoots to prepare for hunting and picked it up fast averaging 165-180 out of 200 points on each days shoot. I was lucky an drew an either tag in unit 10 in the Zuni Mountains of New Mexico. Not a stellar unit for elk from all that I have heard and have never hunted this unit before. I have been successful muzzle loader hunting taking 3 elk out of 4 tags. Wasnt very confident on getting an elk since I know many people go for years without harvesting a big game animal with a bow. I hunted by myself as the bulls were pre-rut and not vocal yet. I passed up 40 yard shots on 3 spikes which I left to grow up and then a cow with a yearly calf that I wasnt going to leave motherless. I still hunted into a very elky flat section on the side of mountain at 8600 feet. An 8 point mulie saw me about the same time I saw him bedded down 25 yards to my left which began a 5 minute stare down. We both heard a branch break and he looked to my left where I slowly turned to see what was coming. A small 5X5 bull was feeding up the hill coming into the flats I was on. I guessed him at 35 yards when he put his head behind a tree to feed when I came full draw. I looked to my side to the mulie who was still bedded looking at me. Guess he figured I wasnt pointing that thing at him so he was going to watch the show. I stepped two feet to me left to get around the tree and into his vitals. He was slightly quartering to me and I hit him hard right behind his shoulder. He immediately was hurt and stumbled over two downed trees, I cow called, he stopped and looked my direction and started a drunken stagger for 80 yards before he layed down to pass. I then noticed three other larger bulls were running away and had been feeding towards me also. My 100 grain standard slicktricks worked like most have said. The arrow passed completely through him, but was hanging by the fletching and fell out while he walked to his final bed. He was in my view the entire time but gave him about 20 minutes to expire since he still had never seen me and wasnt spooked. I tracked him to his bed for practice and a significant blood trail started when I stopped him with the cow calls. I came up and gave a silent prayer for my magnificent trophy I had just taken and began the task of preparing the meat so I can enjoy it for the next year. Total meat from the butcher is right at 200 lbs. He's not the biggest bull, but he's mine and I did everything myself which by far made this the most rewarding hunt of my life, hopefully not the last. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure out how to do it. May your hunting season be as rewarding as mine was.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Congrats...you hooked yet?:)

FYI - its perfectly appropriate to yell after your silent prayer.:wink:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Great job now hows about some pics?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I am hooked big time, nice not hearing gunshots disturbing the quiet every morning. My White muzzle loader is currently retired in the gunsafe.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
congrats to you, you may never pick that smokepole up again after your experience. Great job!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to get my first archery bull mounted, but didnt want to spend the money for a shoulder mount on a small bull so decided on a european. Had a friend do the skull then ordered the wall mount myself. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts