Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year archery hunting. Got out today AM and did not see any deer.

However about an hour after sunlight, I heard something working its way towards the stand. At first glimpse, I was like.. man, that is one small deer.
Couldn't see the animal clearly. Then out steps a nice red fox. He came up to 20 yards and smelled something ahead on the trail and retreated back the way he came.
It was cool to watch. Half hour later heard something working its way in behind the stand. Got me all excited thinking it was surely a deer this time. But no.. it was the same fox.. he walk up behind the stand this time and stood for a few seconds and crossed the creek and headed the other way.

It was nice to see something first time out.

Question, if Coyotes or foxes walk past your stand is your deer hunt over? Are the deer bothered by their scent or presence?

· Registered
261 Posts
your hunt is far from over, foxes dont bother deer in the least, a fox is no match for a deer...thats why some use the urine for cover scent (I dont, but know some who do)...

People are usually mislead about coyotes and deer, they think that coyotes can take down deer with no problem, not so...a coyote will think twice about messing with an adult deer by himself, even with 1-2 yotes they shy away from bucks...the only real reason a deer will not go into an area where coyotes just crossed is if there is fawns with them...keep hunting because unless there is a group of 5-6 yotes in the area and the deer can visually see them, youre okay because a yotes scent is everywhere because they cover just as much if not more ground than a deer in one day and if the deer were to shy away from the coyotes scent, they wouldnt be able to go anywhere..
Besides, coyotes target smaller animals along the lines of rabbits and snowshoes if you have them because theyre easier to kill and more efficient...

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Reminds me...

Of my first year hunting. I saw the same fox on several hunts in my first year. I did not see a lot of deer that year but eventually made contact with one. That deer did not go five feet. It was not legal to take fox where i was hunting or I would have had a nice mounted fox. They seem to smell better than deer in my opinion or they have a sixth sense. I wish you the best in your hunting and hope that you get some pictures to remind of your little buddy as you may be seeing a lot of him.

Sam

· Registered
1,135 Posts
:darkbeer:
First year archery hunting. Got out today AM and did not see any deer.

However about an hour after sunlight, I heard something working its way towards the stand. At first glimpse, I was like.. man, that is one small deer.
Couldn't see the animal clearly. Then out steps a nice red fox. He came up to 20 yards and smelled something ahead on the trail and retreated back the way he came.
It was cool to watch. Half hour later heard something working its way in behind the stand. Got me all excited thinking it was surely a deer this time. But no.. it was the same fox.. he walk up behind the stand this time and stood for a few seconds and crossed the creek and headed the other way.

It was nice to see something first time out.

Question, if Coyotes or foxes walk past your stand is your deer hunt over? Are the deer bothered by their scent or presence?

Welcome to the brotherhood... I hope the experience of your first hunt keeps you coming back, and the day you take your first kill I hope you are hooked for life like the rest of us. Strength in numbers... now go and get all your friends and family to join in with you. Cheers good man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.