Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year bow hunting and I am very pumped up as season is opening in less than two weeks. Any suggestions on early calling methods?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Best advice I could give ya is DON'T CALL early!

Calling is entirely over-rated and don't think for a minute that it works like you've seen it in some videos on incredible ranches and dream properties. most of the time when you call you only give the mature animals reason to circle your location downwind and bust you without you ever even realizing that a mature deer was in your area. Calling works best when you can actually observe the animal and read it's body language as you call. Callings also works much better during the bredding and chase phases. Calling in the early season is risky at best. Good luck and good huntin'

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you are looking to kill a doe. I have had luck fawn bleating early. It seems to peak there curiosity.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
Cornfed said:
Best advice I could give ya is DON'T CALL early!

Calling is entirely over-rated and don't think for a minute that it works like you've seen it in some videos on incredible ranches and dream properties. most of the time when you call you only give the mature animals reason to circle your location downwind and bust you without you ever even realizing that a mature deer was in your area. Calling works best when you can actually observe the animal and read it's body language as you call. Callings also works much better during the bredding and chase phases. Calling in the early season is risky at best. Good luck and good huntin'
I agree!!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I have never experienced much luck calling until about the end of October. From then until the last week of November is can be very effective. Good luck and welcome to our addiction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts