Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting some merino wool for baselayer and second layer from either Firstlite, minus33 or Justin Charles.

Is one of these companies better than the other as far as quality or should I just go with best value?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Justin Charles, while decent stuff, is made in China. Therefore are off my list.
I heard the firstlite stuff was also made in china.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump...anybody else?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
bump

Not a lot of comparison info out there.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I just recently purchased a wool top from "Ibex". Very nice quality and made in America. The reviews on this stuff are great and I can see why.

·
Banned
3,149 Posts
I have multiple items from Justin Charles....very nice quality, warm, and great customer service. I have one layer from Ibex and they have nice quality items also.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Firstlite is very thin stuff. too thin (yes, i have some). Not familiar with Justin Charles, but look into Icebreaker stuff. It's the best merino base layer stuff available, though pricey.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
ive got the minus33 400g stuff and i like it very much! one thing that suprised me is its like really heavy silk. kinda crazy it doesnt look or feel like it should weigh that much. another thing i was very impressed by was the waistband - high quality! not the crappy elastic you usually get on thermal bottoms.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,363 Posts
I just bought some of Cabela's Merino Wool base layers recently because they had them for $20 off each piece. Really nice stuff, but..........I guess I'm allergic to wool on my skin, even merino wool. Very soft, but I couldn't stop itching. I'm sending them back.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
i have minus 33..400gr set..worn it once..seems to be great..if definately keeps u dry when sweating..hard to explain the feeling when sweating...

anyone else experience this with merino wool..its not bad just different

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is my 3rd year with Minus 33 400gr bottom and zip top. It is still going strong and I wear it all hunting and ice fishing season. It's cheaper than the other companies and the quality is top notch. JMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a bunch of Justin Charles and it is great stuff. Lightweight and very warm. I have no experience with firstline but the fact that it is available in camo gives it more versatility, where Justin Charles always must be worn under another garment if you wish to be concealed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just bought some of Cabela's Merino Wool base layers recently because they had them for $20 off each piece. Really nice stuff, but..........I guess I'm allergic to wool on my skin, even merino wool. Very soft, but I couldn't stop itching. I'm sending them back.
I just picked up a set of the light-weight top and bottoms on sale as well. The fit is good, but it does itch a little. It is very lightweight 160gram I think. I haven't tested it in the woods yet.

I'm leaning towards the minus33 400gram set for Christmas. May pick up the facemask and hoody from FirstLite, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts