Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever had any negative run-ins with other hunters on the mountains? tempers flaring? fighting words used? fisticuffs?

i've run into quite a few hunters in only a couple of years elk hunting, but they were all very pleasant and helpful actually (or they lied through their smiling teeth). is this the common experience?

· Registered
2,057 Posts
Only problem I have had was with a new member to my hunting party and that was his first and last trip with us. Other than that a few nasty words between other hunters is about the worst but most of the time no problems

· Registered
6,615 Posts
I have had people tell me, on National Forest land, that I could not access the area I wanted to hunt through their camp because "that was their area to hunt". That led to some nasty words from both parties.

Several run-ins with parents after their kids on ATVs come hauling around blind corners on National Forest roads and I stop them and tell them the rules of the road and how they should be driving. One parent had the nads to tell me that "I will drive how I want to drive on these roads. It is the people in cars and trucks who should be more careful!" :confused:

All in all, most people I run into are good folks. Still, there is the occasional meeting that does not go to well.

· Registered
183 Posts
Had a run in with an outfitter over on of his "wilderness" camps, the guy told my freind and I we had to move our camp away from his spot even though we were nearly 100 yards from his permitted camp which was right on a highly traveled pack trail.
I have also had a couple of issues with ATV's miles from where they are allowed, not much fun to walk a couple of hours in someplace where atv's are not allowed only to hear one coming up the trail behind you driving right past the wilderness boundary signs.
Aside from those issues its usually nice to see another hunter after a few days alone out in the woods to swap stories.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Last year was my first year. I met one guy that I actually talked to. He told me I didn't need to hang my food. He told me I was set up in a good spot, but there will be alot of traffic. This guy was about 5'7 and had .001 body fat and rippling with muscles (no ****). I wish I got his name and number. I could have learned alot from him. He'll forever be known as the Hulk.

· Registered
6,615 Posts
When I see ATVs where they should not be it is time for spot and stalk!

Spot where the "hunter" parks his ATV, stalk up to the ATV, take a picture of it (make sure you get registration tag number), and then let the air out of all the tires until they are totally flat and continue with the elk hunting. When you get out of the woods, call the DOW or USFS and email them the picture.

That said, you best be DAMN sure that they are not actively retrieving a downed animal, which is allowed in some areas (not Wilderness) of National Forest.

I have also had a couple of issues with ATV's miles from where they are allowed.

· Registered
267 Posts
Only problem I have had was with a new member to my hunting party and that was his first and last trip with us. Other than that a few nasty words between other hunters is about the worst but most of the time no problems
I've had problems with newbies too. Now the guy just shows up at camp not invited and hunts the areas I shared with him, trusting he wouldn't do that the first time I met him. Oh well after last year showing up at my camp uninvited I nipped it in the bud and he now knows he is never invited back. Because of his actions I don't invite new people any more. And some old ones may have to go too, just can't keep quite about the area and get visits to camp of people looking for these guys asking where they should hunt. But what's a guy to do it is Public land so your screwed for trying to be a nice guy.

· Registered
210 Posts
We have had issues with people coming on to my dads farm to hunt (trespassing) without permission. My parents bought this farm 18 years ago and have not let anyone (other than family) hunt the land. When we approach someone trespassing, and asking them to leave has led to.... well let's just say there have been punches thrown!!!!!

I don't understand why people claim they have had permission to hunt there for 10 years when my parents have had the place longer than that... I have thrown the same guy off the land 3 times.... The last time, he was in MY TREESTAND!!!!!!

· Registered
2,057 Posts
I've had problems with newbies too. Now the guy just shows up at camp not invited and hunts the areas I shared with him, trusting he wouldn't do that the first time I met him. Oh well after last year showing up at my camp uninvited I nipped it in the bud and he now knows he is never invited back. Because of his actions I don't invite new people any more. And some old ones may have to go too, just can't keep quite about the area and get visits to camp of people looking for these guys asking where they should hunt. But what's a guy to do it is Public land so your screwed for trying to be a nice guy.
I don't have a problem with this guy showing up around my areas since I put the fear of god into him. He found out the hard way he was not welcome

· Registered
9,545 Posts
never had anything bad really. had to throw a few people off the private land i hunt, because they had permission to hunt it like 15 years before, so they just assumed they still did. I know they didn't simply because the land owner told me "you are the only one who can be here". and trappers...same situation, after i almost stepped into one of their fox traps. that one didn't go to well.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
For the most part, most elk hunters anyway.......seem to be pretty decent folks. I'm not always happy about seeing others where I'm hunting, but I've made a few friends over the years just from running into the same guys in multiple years. And one of those guys is even a ML'er, along with his 80 year old dad. I look forward to seeing them every year now, and I don't mind sharing the woods with folks that I meet and like. And I'd even be willing to help them pack out an elk when they put one down. Most of the folks I've run into over the years have been like that, will even share their camp and food and coffee. Something about elk hunting that brings the "good" out in a lot of people.

But, there have been a few that really rub me the wrong way. Mostly those that ignore the rules, those that litter, or those that are just plain inconsiderate. This year I drove to a spot to hunt one morning. I got there well before first light and there was a truck already parked at the trailhead. As soon as I drove up I saw a light come on in the back of the truck/camper shell and someone scrambling to get dressed. As soon as he came out I told him......"Well, you were here first......which way were you planning on heading......I'll go the other way". I didn't have to do that, but I would sure appreciate it if I had been the one there first.

· Registered
267 Posts
I don't have a problem with this guy showing up around my areas since I put the fear of god into him. He found out the hard way he was not welcome
The guy I'm dealing with showed up last year with another guy to hunt with him, then I confronted him on it so I guess we'll see if he just shows up this year.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Only problems I have had have been two different adjacent landowners tell me I was trespassing. I reminded them that its a misdemeanor to try to run someone off of public land and neither accepted a request to have myself arrested. ;)

I can't think of anything that even remotely came to blows.

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
I've almost seen it happen in my own camp.......I won't elaborate more than that.

It can happen when the wrong things are said.

· RJ
3,456 Posts
I feel you 82d.. Quite a few years ago, I took a young hunter I knew to my "area" in WA state to show him the ropes.. Met him at Ft Lewis during an Archery Hunting seminar I was providing to the Soldiers. He was a CA transplant and wanted to learn how to elk hunt. No worries, right? Took him to the area I had hunted for a few years and got him into a few bulls.. He thanked me for my assistance and seemed to go on his merry way the next year working his job, etc. The next year I arrived at my "area" and found he was camping in my very spot, and, he'd brought two other guys with him. Thank god I didn't show him all the areas I hunt.. Needless to say, the words were crisp and I've never spoken to him again. I think he lives somewhere in FL now.. Good riddance.

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Only problems I've had have been with a couple outfitters who thought they owned wilderness land. Had to let them know they could kiss my a#*. They shouldn't be able to use public land to make a living off of anyway IMHO.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
I've never had any friction with anyone out in the mountains. The hunters we've run into were overall pretty cool. We found a freshly erected wall tent smack dab in the middle of a prime looking area. We didn't mess with it but I probably would have asked the owner what the heck he was thinking if he had been there. But I'm not the kind of guy that starts smack talk. I almost drew my bow on a shepherd's border collies last season because they were bluffing us pretty hard. A little brown shepherd came down the trail after he heard the commotion and called them off. The shepherd and his co-worker didn't know a lick of english and they were camped 25 yds off of the main trail. We had to deal with those damn dogs every time we hiked that way. But we didn't start anything with the shepherds.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.