Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sorry if this has been covered before but id like to know youre opinion on the importance of axle to axle on a compound bow for fita style shooting .I know that in the past it has been the rule of thumb that the longer ata the better . I do understand that the longer bow may be more stable in that it may not want to cant or torque (bubble levle off left or right) , and also many shooters may like the wider string angle at full draw . what other reasons are there for a longer ata. now i think maby the longer bows generally have less reflex in the riser and that has made them more stable & more popular for target shooters ? if anyone would like to share there thoughts on this subject id love to hear them . im not trying to shoot a 30" ata for targets but recently iv heard of quite a few having great success with shorter (33-35")bows.thanks and sorry if im being a little long winded :eek:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no body ? I would like to here some thoughts on this from a technical and more experienced stand point .

·
Registered
221 Posts
I shoot a under 30 inch axle to axle bow at 70 meters and shooting good groups can be done and maybe a longer axle to axle would be easier to shoot but I like the challenge. I think I would blame my off shots more on my release more than on the way I hold or anchor with the bow. My level sits fine for me and I even got this crazy idea to take my stabilizer off and have been shooting without a stablizer out to 50 yards and I am still shooting fine.

Dave Cousins is shooting 35 inch axle to axle bows now isn't he?

I have been told that a long axle to axle bow is ideal for target but if it is neccessary I don't think so. If you can get comfortable with your bow and build confidence you can shoot just as good of scores with a short axle to axle compared to a long axle to axle bow in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shoot a under 30 inch axle to axle bow at 70 meters and shooting good groups can be done and maybe a longer axle to axle would be easier to shoot but I like the challenge. I think I would blame my off shots more on my release more than on the way I hold or anchor with the bow. My level sits fine for me and I even got this crazy idea to take my stabilizer off and have been shooting without a stablizer out to 50 yards and I am still shooting fine.

Dave Cousins is shooting 35 inch axle to axle bows now isn't he?

I have been told that a long axle to axle bow is ideal for target but if it is neccessary I don't think so. If you can get comfortable with your bow and build confidence you can shoot just as good of scores with a short axle to axle compared to a long axle to axle bow in my opinion.

thanks i apreciate the input .i really like to here what people have to say about the technical side of archery, and have been thinking about this topic since i started shooting at longer distances (70 yards for now).

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok all i know im pretty new here but i know that there are some archery "engineer" types on here and im looking for youre thoughts. you know who you are, tinkerers,techs, and tuners . tell me why i should get a 38" plus axle to axle bow for target shooting at any distance, but mainly longer distance . thanks

bo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts