Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few questions for the Fita compound finger shooters.

1. What arrow shaft do you like the best? I'm currently shooting acc's but would like to try something different for the 90 meters stuff.

2. What length fletch do you use? I'm shooting 4" feathers but might try 3" flex fletch. Also do you recomend helical or strait fletch and how much offset? I've always used helical but I'm wondering if offset strait might be a better choice for the longer distances.

3. I'm shooting a Sure-loc with a pin and wondered how many of you use some type of ring sight? I find aiming at the field targets much easier than the fita targets and thought the ring sight might be of some help.

Thanks for all the wonderful information on this site.
Rob

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"You can shoot whatever you like, as long as its legal (using FITA or NAA rules)."

Yep, no one would toss you out of a tourney for shooting fingers compound - but at the same time anyone doing it is most likely not going to be very competitive...Which is why I mentioned it, better to understand the rules/divisions for FITA than go to a large tourney and be disappointed. If you are really interested in shooting FITA 144, and you are set on using fingers, you might want to look at FITA recurve.

As far as arrows go, Nav's or ACE's are a good bet. Like Gary mentioned 1 3/4" length plastic vanes will provide less resistance/weight. I would reccomend try out Spinwings/Kurley's/K-Vanes, if you are shooting fingers, you might find that there is a little more "forgiveness" using them at longer distances. The only downside is that Spinwings aren't very durable, so you fletch more frequently.

-CG

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I like you enjoy shooting FITA style archery. Shooting a compound with fingers. I normally would shoot NFAA FSL. So, I use their equipment rules. Which means I use a scope.

For FITA I like to use a smaller diameter scope housing of 1 3/8". It is much easier to center up on the target. I like using a 6 power lense that has a circle ground into the center (not a dot). This way I center the gold into the ring and never take my eyes off the center of the target.
I use 3-28 acc's. For target shooting I find shooting the smallest vane that works well is best. Right now 2.5" flex fletch is working well. I have used 2" vanes on the smaller diameter CT Mckinley shafts which by the way worked great. A little pricey for just shooting for fun. I strongly recommend shooting a heavy weight point somewhere between 100 and 125 grains. This help minimize the arrow drifting.
Try to shoot small diameter shafts, small fletchings and heavy point weight.

Remember, hold steady on the shorter distances. They will eat you up if you dont.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
FITA affiliate NAA has such a division for older shooters. Thus in the USA yu can shoot FITA with fingers and be competitive as long as you are old enough:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to stay with a pin sight. scopes don't turn me on. Just not my thing. I'm researching the nav's right now and will try a smaller fletch. Once again thanks for all the information.

Rob

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Jim C;

"FITA affiliate NAA has such a division for older shooters. Thus in the USA yu can shoot FITA with fingers and be competitive as long as you are old enough"

At all tourneys, or just Nationals?

-CG

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
most tournaments-somethings are offered but not filled. I know at the Ohio state its offerec but I don't recall but oa couple guys shooting it-sort of like barebow or crossbow

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The participation in the NAA Nationals in that division this past summer consisted of precisely two people.

One male 50+ division, the other a female 70+ age shooter.

Basically show up and shoot and you too can be a "national champion"...:rolleyes:

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
gt-that happens alot in our state for some divisions. Of course the NAA isn't as bad as some groups which have a dozen or more divisions.

I don't blame the guy who shows up and wins-I blame the people who didn't. besides, no one confuses that winner with Vic Wunderle or Dave Cousins:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts