Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of upgrading to fitsz fiber on my spot hogg hunter, but I am leaning toward staying with the factory length fiber, not extended.

My question is, is it worth switching to the fitz fiber if I am going to keep the same length fiber?

Also, if I were to do this I would have to buy 3 39" pieces (Green, Yellow, Red/Orange) to create 5 2-3" pins. So, 137" of fiber for 15" that I need.

Is there anyway to get smaller quantities of this stuff. Anyone have some laying around that they would like to get rid of?

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
BUD11HR said:
I am thinking of upgrading to fitsz fiber on my spot hogg hunter, but I am leaning toward staying with the factory length fiber, not extended.

My question is, is it worth switching to the fitz fiber if I am going to keep the same length fiber?

Also, if I were to do this I would have to buy 3 39" pieces (Green, Yellow, Red/Orange) to create 5 2-3" pins. So, 137" of fiber for 15" that I need.

Is there anyway to get smaller quantities of this stuff. Anyone have some laying around that they would like to get rid of?
If you are going to stay with the factory fiber I wouldn't bother. I'd just get a light . . . but not the one Spot Hogg makes.

That said . . . I WOULD NOT stay with the factory length. Using extended fibers on the Spot Hogg is exceptionally easy and makes all the difference in the world . . . especially if you are using Fitz Fibers.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The SD fitz fibers are definately worth it. Mine are MUCH brighter and they are very easy to work with. They have a hunters pack with 3 one meter sets of green, yellow, and red. As far as all the extra, well it just nice to have extra. The 3 pack only cost 12.49. Well worth the cost in my opinion
Dan

I perfer the standard length just for durability, Lights are ilegal in WY. The long fibers are just something to get caught on a branch or something when stalking. JMO

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies

Dan, do you use the SD fiber cut to short(factory lengths)?

Pros/cons?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bud,
yea I use the SD cut to factory length. when I was putting them on, I left about an inch of fiber hanging out and looked at it. It was plenty bright! Then I cut them to length, and beleave me or not, but they got brighter!! The SD fiber is actually supposed to be brighter the shorter it is cut, up to about an inch. I really see no advantage to the long fiber. I cant see out of my peep before I lose the sight of the pins. I have used West Coast fiber with 8 to 10 inches of fiber wrapping around my sight and THAT wasnt as bright as the fitz cut to length. The way we hunt out west, it is very easy to damage the long fibers during a stalk. Also, the fitz is very easy to work with. I installed fitz fibers in all 5 of my pins without having a single fiber crack or break!! Every other fiber I have used seems to take 4 to 5 tries to get one pin right. It also seems to mushroom at the tip better for me. I just hold a lighter near, not on the fiber and gives a really nice round end. Give them a try, I know you will not be disappointed.:D
Dan
Oh and they will have them to your door in 2 to 3 days.!!:teeth:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Mr. October said:
If you are going to stay with the factory fiber I wouldn't bother. I'd just get a light . . . but not the one Spot Hogg makes.

That said . . . I WOULD NOT stay with the factory length. Using extended fibers on the Spot Hogg is exceptionally easy and makes all the difference in the world . . . especially if you are using Fitz Fibers.

Nope just buy the SD fibers instead.

Who says you have to use 3 different colors? Mine are all one color. Right now I have the LDs on my Hogg It. But I think I will be switching to the SD fibers as I don't like all that extra hanging off my sight.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Where do you get the Fitz material?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Their web site is www.fitzfiber.com

I wouldn't "just use a light" because this actually disqualifies a person from Pope and Young if you get lucky enough to bag a 125+ deer. In one of my sights, I just replaced the pins with the factory length and the pins are at least 3 times brighter than factory. On my other sights I have the extended fibers LD (including my scope)

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I've tried the extended fibres on my Hogg-It and have gone back to the standard length using Fitz fibres and the Fitz light bracket and light. I also use the sunshade, more for protection of the back of the pins than anything. My pins are bright enough at the standard length pretty late and not too bright on a bright day, which was a problem for me with the extended fibres. When it's too dark for the pins I want just a little extra glow, which I get from the four-position light. Any brighter and I can't see past the pins very well.

The other reason I went back to a standard length was that no matter how I tried to protect the extended fibres with tubing, they were a little too vulnerable to damage for my taste. The extended fibres always ended up breaking right where they came out of the pin. I think they are weakened by vibration and motion and the damage is cummulative. I even tried splitting the tubing and sliding it over the pin and "clamping" it with the shade. I didn't think I could trust myself not to break them navigating around the woods in the dark. One branch and... :(

I think the SD is just what you need...:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did the factory length Fitz fiber mod on my .019 Hogg-It using th SD fibers. There is a a noticeable difference now when comparing pin brightness it to a brand new .019 Real Deal I have. I wouldn't say a night and day different but the Hogg-It is brighter.

When installing the fibers, I left 'em about an extra inch long before final trimming. I'm glad I did because when I put everything back together I had mushroomed one pin to about the size of a .039.

SB

BUD11HR said:

·
Banned
910 Posts
speak of the devil...got mine today, 12 days after i mailed my order, conversion complete on my 2 hoggs.i cant tell the difference between orange and red. i went with 9.5 " LD fibers in multi fiber tube, a significant improvement over the short stock fibers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts