Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out shooting some broadheads today.
Used a 3D deer target, and had some bails of hay behind it.
Distance was 20yrds.
Shot a group of field pts first to make sure I was dead on, which I was.
First came some Magnus Stingers. I hit my arm guard a few times so they flew up about three inches and left about 2 inches. After i adjusted my arm guard, they flew just a little high in boiler room of the 3D target.
Second came some Muzzy three blades. Shot three arrows with them on. I was hitting the neck of the deer!! So retried them and again, same result so I took them off.:mad:
Third was some Rocky Mt Supreme XP's. First shot was dead on in the boiler room!!! Second shot was right next to the first shot and as a matter of fact, the broadhead cut one of the Blazers on the shaft!!:eek: Third shot was above the first two arrows, about 3/4" high.
I'm extremely pleased with these broadheads!! Think i found my setup for this year!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am really surprised you had problems with your muzzys after I spin check my muzzys to make sure they are straight ,I can shoot them and my field points out to 50 yrds and have them hit within 1 inch of each other but whichever broadhead is the most accurate for you is the one that you should be using, good luck hunting this year.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm surprised also...I have shot 75, 100, & 125 gr Muzzy's out of multiple different hunting bows and have never had an ounce of trouble with them impacting the same as my field tips...

That being said you should go with what is working for you...!

·
The Impartial Archer
18,288 Posts
If you are just screwing them on the same arrow and NOT spin testing the arrow your results can vary greatly. It can lead to random and misleading results. In other words you may put the XP on that arrow and it hits dead on but you put it on a different arrow and now its off. The same head will seat the same way on that arrow every time so switching back and forth will give you the same results. But another arrow might not be the same. To really "test" em' IMO you really need to "tune" the arrow and try several different arrows to ensure its repeatable.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
CMR said:
Was out shooting some broadheads today.
Used a 3D deer target, and had some bails of hay behind it.
Distance was 20yrds.
Shot a group of field pts first to make sure I was dead on, which I was.
First came some Magnus Stingers. I hit my arm guard a few times so they flew up about three inches and left about 2 inches. After i adjusted my arm guard, they flew just a little high in boiler room of the 3D target.
Second came some Muzzy three blades. Shot three arrows with them on. I was hitting the neck of the deer!! So retried them and again, same result so I took them off.:mad:
Third was some Rocky Mt Supreme XP's. First shot was dead on in the boiler room!!! Second shot was right next to the first shot and as a matter of fact, the broadhead cut one of the Blazers on the shaft!!:eek: Third shot was above the first two arrows, about 3/4" high.
I'm extremely pleased with these broadheads!! Think i found my setup for this year!!
what is a Rockey Mt Supreme XP I went to their website but I didn't see it listed???

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Turn the nock 1/3 a turn and re-shoot the same arrow/broadhead. You'll be surprised. I've found that nock tuning is as important as any other aspect of broadhead tuning.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deadquiet said:
If you are just screwing them on the same arrow and NOT spin testing the arrow your results can vary greatly. It can lead to random and misleading results. In other words you may put the XP on that arrow and it hits dead on but you put it on a different arrow and now its off. The same head will seat the same way on that arrow every time so switching back and forth will give you the same results. But another arrow might not be the same. To really "test" em' IMO you really need to "tune" the arrow and try several different arrows to ensure its repeatable.

Did spin test each arrow and between heads. Forgot to mention that last night....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bees said:
what is a Rockey Mt Supreme XP I went to their website but I didn't see it listed???
Its discontinued now. Ebay has been selling them, thats where I picked them up. I read alot of good reports with them on the old Rocky Mt website, before they were sold to someone else.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigrackHack said:
Turn the nock 1/3 a turn and re-shoot the same arrow/broadhead. You'll be surprised. I've found that nock tuning is as important as any other aspect of broadhead tuning.

Can't. I'm using a dropaway and Blazers. With the riser on the Grizzly, if I turn the nock, I'll hit the riser with the vane.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
CMR said:
Can't. I'm using a dropaway and Blazers. With the riser on the Grizzly, if I turn the nock, I'll hit the riser with the vane.
Turning 1/3 a turn will just put another vane in the cockvane position. Clearance shouldn't be an issue at that point. Maybe it'd at least show you if it's the head or nock to be concerned about.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
CMR said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you turn the nock 1/3 of a turn, won't your vanes all be in the same relative position to the rest & riser (assuming you are using a 3-vane setup)? You'll just have the "next" vane up/down, instead of the one you have now.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
bigrackHack said:
Turning 1/3 a turn will just put another vane in the cockvane position. Clearance shouldn't be an issue at that point. Maybe it'd at least show you if it's the head or nock to be concerned about.
VERY TRUE!!!! VERY TRUE!!!!

And here's a very easy inexpensive way to make an arrow spin tester for those of you who don't have one or don't have a tried and true method.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/inberg/Do_it_Yourself/Arrow_Spinner.htm

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'll give it a try next time i'm out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
by no way am I throwing stones but if you are hitting your arm gaurd sometimes can it be a form issue? Just asking?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shoot with a straight arm, no bend.
No problems with form.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been shooting 15 plus with a straight arm, compound and recurves.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
CityBoy2 said:
Isn't a straight bow arm a form problem unto itself?
I agree, it is a problem, especially for a hunter. At the same time, you will find a few good shooters and coaches who will disagree.

Doing something for a long time doesn't make it good form, though. Just a thought.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Straight arm is for recurves. I slightly bent arm is proper form for a compound.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I never had much luck with the Muzzys flying well. The Stingers on the other hand fly great. Better then anything I have ever used!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts