Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering for those that shoot fix blade and right hecoil, How/Do you try and align your vanes? I usally shot odd vane up and broadhead I shoot odd blade down and get get flight. Just curouis what everyone else does. Oh I shoot 4inch vanes.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Just be sure the broadhead spins true on the arrow shaft and you are golden.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If the bow is tuned well and will shoot field points and broad heads together it doesn't mean squat. I assemble my own arrows and I try to bare shaft tune and align the high spine to the nock. If you can get the arrow shaft to fly out of the bow straight, there is a real good chance the field tips and broadheads are going to be closer together when the arrows are fletched.

·
Registered
811 Posts
brbowman said:
I was wondering for those that shoot fix blade and right hecoil, How/Do you try and align your vanes? I usally shot odd vane up and broadhead I shoot odd blade down and get get flight. Just curouis what everyone else does. Oh I shoot 4inch vanes.
IMHO - It depends on your rest - some require you to shoot cock vane up, and others need cock vane down or to the side. Whatever provides the necessary clearance.

Doc and meanv2 have it right. Spinning true = true flight.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That is an age old myth they have done wind tunnel test and found out that the broadhead funnels the air out past the fletching,the broadhead is actually doing the steering not the fletchings, the fletching just create drag and the fletching do the steering when there is a field point on. many archers are using 4 blade broadheads with 3 fletched arrow and visa versa.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I will repost since my original post was deleted due to heavy-handedness...

Aligning blades with the fletching has no bearing on broadhead accuracy. It is strictly a matter of axial alignment of the head with the shaft and the ability of the fletchings to overcome the steering effect of the blades on the head.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
PennsWoods said:
Don't mean to hijack but how do you make sure it spins true. New to archery and want to do it right?
An arrow spinner is your best bet and they are pretty cheap $20ish. You just spin the arrow and look for wobble. Some guys use a flat surface (glass, marble, etc) and feel/look for wobble while they roll the shaft.

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
Broadhead on shaft with great spin will fly clean.

Spin testing each arrow with the broadhead on, if it spins clean with no wobble your arrow will fly fine.

Spin testers are fairly cheap and is one tool an archer should have in their shop. Good hunting.:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
brbowmen
You really do not have to be concerned with fletch and blade alignment just make sure you can spin your arrows and they will not wobble at the broadhead area if you have a arrow spinner your arrow will be laying flat so then your will be watching the tip of your broadhead for any sign of wobbling. If you don’t have a spinner you can take your arrow standing upright with the broadhead point aiming down sitting on any hard surface and then spin the arrow with your fingers and watch for a wobble in the area where your broadhead is screwed tight to the arrow shaft. If everything is right your arrow will spin very smoothly with no resistance or vibration. if it wobbles you will see it and it takes more energy to continue spinning.
To correct this
1.make sure the arrow shaft it self is straight and not causing the wobble
2.if you used hot melt for your insert you can warm it and work at correcting the alignment of the insert.
3.I have a tool that shaves the very edge square of my arrow and then the insert also which quickens the process. But yet is not tool that a person has to have to accomplish getting a good spin.
Good Luck

·
Registered
403 Posts
oh man, arrow dynamics of an arrow.....

oh man, this would be fun, too bad I am not in school anymore and don't have access to a wind tunnel

·
Registered
702 Posts
Huntarcher said:
That is an age old myth they have done wind tunnel test and found out that the broadhead funnels the air out past the fletching,the broadhead is actually doing the steering not the fletchings, the fletching just create drag and the fletching do the steering when there is a field point on. many archers are using 4 blade broadheads with 3 fletched arrow and visa versa.

SAY WHAT????? Are you saying that the fletch dont mean squat with a BH????:confused: If that were true, then why do my arrows still fly with a right helical with a ST on the end of it? Not trying to start anything, just never heard that before. Now I do agree that the fletch orientation doesn't have anything to do with it. Proper spine and spin tested arrow will produce excellent flight.
Dan

·
Registered
403 Posts
DanDaMan said:
SAY WHAT????? Are you saying that the fletch dont mean squat with a BH????:confused: If that were true, then why do my arrows still fly with a right helical with a ST on the end of it? Not trying to start anything, just never heard that before. Now I do agree that the fletch orientation doesn't have anything to do with it. Proper spine and spin tested arrow will produce excellent flight.
Dan

Based on pure aerodynamics, the flow of the air hitting the fletching is so turbulent that it will affect the flight a little, but not as much as if the fletchings were on the leading edge.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yeah

Jeff Heeg said:
brbowmen
You really do not have to be concerned with fletch and blade alignment just make sure you can spin your arrows and they will not wobble at the broadhead area if you have a arrow spinner your arrow will be laying flat so then your will be watching the tip of your broadhead for any sign of wobbling. If you don’t have a spinner you can take your arrow standing upright with the broadhead point aiming down sitting on any hard surface and then spin the arrow with your fingers and watch for a wobble in the area where your broadhead is screwed tight to the arrow shaft. If everything is right your arrow will spin very smoothly with no resistance or vibration. if it wobbles you will see it and it takes more energy to continue spinning.
To correct this
1.make sure the arrow shaft it self is straight and not causing the wobble
2.if you used hot melt for your insert you can warm it and work at correcting the alignment of the insert.
3.I have a tool that shaves the very edge square of my arrow and then the insert also which quickens the process. But yet is not tool that a person has to have to accomplish getting a good spin.
Good Luck

What he said, I could't have written anything better.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys the G5 strikers and ripping fletchings off the field tip arrows, so I think I'm good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts