Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any draw backs? They seem to fly OK but I'm not too sure it's a great idea.
Shooting the ole' NAP QT 3000 & helical always seems to get a little contact on the prongs.
I'm a little worried about the control in some winds and what not.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I didn't like the idea of shooting helical through a whisker biscuit so I went to an offset fletching. kind of a compromise. Broadheads tend to want to do the steering and helical or offset fletching helps control that.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
It doesnt matter that much as fast as todays bow shoots they are fine. If you are shootin trad. equiment that is a totaly differnt story

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
from what i have read here (not experimented that much yet) but if your bow is bare shaft paper tuned, then in theory the arrow is coming out straight and either straight or helical should work.

However alittle offset or helical will add more stability. try it out for yourself and post your results

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
In my opinion, and the opinions of many, many hunters, and outdoor writers you should always use helical, or at least offset fletching with fixed blade broadheads. Straight fletch, and fixed blade broadheads are like having metal vanes on the front, and plastic vanes on the rear of an arrow, and they are both trying to control the flight of the arrow.

For example, a friend of mine was having trouble getting his 3 blade 100 gr. Muzzys to fly. We were shooting basically the same arrows so I gave him one of mine to try. His broadheads flew perfectly with mine. The only difference was that his arrows had straight fletch, and mine had helical.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
With arrows I've shot with straight 4 inch Duravanes, my broadheads flew awful by my field tips flew fine. Unless something better is invented, I'll never shoot anything but Blazer vanes with a slight right helical.

TEXAS

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have NEVER read or heard any recommendaton to use straight fletching on an arrow! 40 years of target archery and bowhunting. I can't remember one instance. At the very least, it was to vary the amount of offset to compensate for hitting your rest. Helical was always the way to go, until the prong rests and compounds came along.

Thanks to fall away rests, I can now go back to my traditional roots and put as radical helical as I can fit on my arrow and gain all that stabilization back. Sure helps with making tuning a breeze.

BTW - It makes no difference.....trad or compound (modern or 10 years old) - the arrow still must be stabilized. If you think your "modern" compound doesn't have a need for that, think again. Have someone video you shooting from behind and watch it back in slomo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts