Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Both mechanicals and fixed broadheads are good for whitetail!
Each type have broadheads that are better than others. Personally I like a fixed blade broadhead but there is ton of good mechanicals, I would stay with the Big name heads such as Thunderheads, muzzy or rockets, rocky mountain to name a few. It all boils down to what you prefer!
Good luck

·
Banned
910 Posts
as a general rule,fixed blade is a better killer, a mechanical is a better flyer. For deer , most name brand mecahnicals will work just fne. I use mechanicals for deer and hogs. Using a NAP 100gr. Shockwave and about a 430 gr arrow shot a 140 lb boar and hit him right on the spine just a couple inches behind his shoulder at 20 yds. The head cut thru hide, at least 4" of pork loin and the head just cleared the far side of the vertabrae, the 1st couple inches of shaft stuck in the spine.All the blades opened, no blades broke and didnt bend much. I've shot them right through deer rib cages. They fly like a field tip. Im not endorsing NAP's or anybody elses, but that has been my experience. My overall feeling is you will probably be better off flightwise with a descent mechanical for deer sized game and it will get the job done if you do.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
keepem sharp said:
Both mechanicals and fixed broadheads are good for whitetail!
Each type have broadheads that are better than others. Personally I like a fixed blade broadhead but there is ton of good mechanicals, I would stay with the Big name heads such as Thunderheads, muzzy or rockets, rocky mountain to name a few. It all boils down to what you prefer!
Good luck
well said ,wish washington state would give us the option of ether choice

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
archerking said:
i was wondering wich was better for whitetail at about 15 to 20 yards :confused:
I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen this question before? :wink:

For the most part, a well designed mechanical is every bit as effective as a fixed blade head. I've taken well over a hundred using both, and though my experience is limited to Rockets in 3 formats, I don't think there's much difference, as long as arrow weight and speed are adequate.

"Enough" has limits though. If arrow weight is < 350gr @ 225fps, use a good fixed blade head. Most guys use quite a bit more zap than that.

My two favorite whitetail rigs are a 60lb Razortec with 435gr CX Terminators @ 255fps and a 60lb Vipertec with 350gr CX 200's @ 275fps. Both have put the Steelheads or Wolverines through a whitetail every time out to 40yds with a decent angle shot.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Moose mustard said:
as a general rule,fixed blade is a better killer, a mechanical is a better flyer. For deer , most name brand mecahnicals will work just fne.
Well said, and I think we can add that the main thing is put the arrow, whether fixed or mechanical broadhead is attached, in the kill zone. Won't matter what you're using if you make a bad hit.:sad: :zip: :wink: I also believe if you tune your bow properly that you won't have a problem with how fixed blade broadheads fly. :wink: Good luck this season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have no idea how many grains i shoot but i have easton 2217 camo hunter xx75 with 100 grain field tips and shoot 50lbs if that helps srry i have my cousin who owns a bow shop here in mich. take care of every thing else and its only my first year of bow hunting

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The best broadhead, IMO is the one that gives you the most confidence to make the shot count and you dont think about it in the back of your mind. I shoot both, and I trust both with their tasks....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Every one has there own favorites. But if your looking for a good broadhead at a great price check this out!
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrockymountainbroadheads

At these prices get one of each and then tell us what you think. I myself picked up 2 packs of the Supreme XP's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts