Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Throw the mechanicals in the trash and pick up your choice of a fixed blade. This deer was shot with a Vertix 30.5” draw length and a 460gr arrow. You can see a white spot on the shoulder where a 2 blade expandable hit him from 26 yards. This Deer is still walking as we speak. I’ve shot many deer in the shoulder blade with my slick trick standards and never had an issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sonny,

The question was about mech vs fixed BH for a new user. I provided my experiences so the OP could make an informed decision.

Since I did not get my hands on the deer I could not be absolutely sure so I didn't want to speculate. But since you ask.....

I think either the blades deployed in flight due to user error setting up the collar, I hit a bramble before hitting the deer making the blades deploy prematurely, or I hit the shoulder bone and the arrow was unable to penetrate.

It appeared to hit the deer near the shoulder, he roared (sort of) and took off. I searched for more than two days looking for any sign of that deer and only found some very minor drops of blood.

So for a new hunter I recommend the fixed blade because it removes a few things that could go wrong. For a new hunter I think removing some of the variables is a good idea.
So you tell a new bowhunter that you shot at a deer that you really have no idea what happened but..........you blame the BH??????? The variable is that you have no idea what happened but choose to blame the BH because you can't just plainly say that you made a bad shot. I personally shot a big buck in Iowa back in the early 2000's using a fixed head (Muzzy) and hit it right in the shoulder and got 2" of penetration and the arrow fell out within 10 yards of the deer taking off. I was using a 450gr 300fps Martin Fury at the time. Did I blame the BH?? NO! I blamed myself because I am the one that made the bad shot, NOT the BH!!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I got my first bow about a month ago now. It is a Bowtech Convergence. Currently set at 63# & 29.5 draw. I am running Black Eagle Rampage arrows w/ their halfouts, 3 blazer vanes, and Nockturnal nocks. I have come up with 494 grain total arrow weight (if using 100grain head); this total includes BH, halfout, shaft, vanes and nocks.

My question is am I making enough KE to use mechanicals, or should I be using fixed? I am not sure how many FPS my bow is shooting.
Please, PLEASE don't let these guys that always come on to every thread about mechanicals and bash them scare you away from using a quality mechanical. Myself and a couple buddies have well over 100+ animals shot with Rage without one single issue. You have more than enough energy to use mechanicals but I would choose a rear opening mechanical.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mechanicals are not a crutch. Nice try! 40 years of bowhunting and I don't need a crutch but use what I consider the most consistent devastating BH (Rage) that leaves consistently more blood on the ground. Will create more damage because of the cutting diameter. Will give you more room for error if your're off your mark by a few inches. Is more forgiving in wind. Is more forgiving if your form isn't perfect. You easily can go with a mechanical with your specs.
Rage was the culprit on every crippled elk on those trips. I saw every arrow..either hitting the animal. or on the carcass of the one that eventually was recovered. Everyone one of those shots would have been lethal with a fixed blade head. Again- deer are not elk. But there is just no reason to shots gizmos at them. I used to use them. Had one follow the exterior of the entire rib cage, coming to rest between the ribs and the front shoulder. Thank god he stumbled past my buddy who zipped a real BH in him. Another time I had a doe go over 300 yards before I recovered her. Upon impact...the arrow kicked and took a very different path than it should have. Some of open up in the quiver. Some WONT open on an animal. The practice heads suck in most cases.

THEY WERE INVENTED>>>FOR THOSE WHO WOULDNT TAKE THE TIME TO GET HEADS FLYING RIGHT! They wouldn't exist without that fact. No one would have dreamed em up for any other reason.

Can you kill deer with them? Yep. Do they have a bigger diameter? Marginal. Wind? theres a probable benefit- but real windy conditions mean CLOSE shots anyway. For a new guy... take the time to get your gear right, do it right. Join a broadhead league and shoot em all summer. When youre hitting playing card size target at 60 yards, you'll have no trouble hitting deer vitals at 20. And you wont need that "extra half inch."

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rage was the culprit on every crippled elk on those trips. I saw every arrow..either hitting the animal. or on the carcass of the one that eventually was recovered. Everyone one of those shots would have been lethal with a fixed blade head. Again- deer are not elk. But there is just no reason to shots gizmos at them. I used to use them. Had one follow the exterior of the entire rib cage, coming to rest between the ribs and the front shoulder. Thank god he stumbled past my buddy who zipped a real BH in him. Another time I had a doe go over 300 yards before I recovered her. Upon impact...the arrow kicked and took a very different path than it should have. Some of open up in the quiver. Some WONT open on an animal. The practice heads suck in most cases.

THEY WERE INVENTED>>>FOR THOSE WHO WOULDNT TAKE THE TIME TO GET HEADS FLYING RIGHT! They wouldn't exist without that fact. No one would have dreamed em up for any other reason.

Can you kill deer with them? Yep. Do they have a bigger diameter? Marginal. Wind? theres a probable benefit- but real windy conditions mean CLOSE shots anyway. For a new guy... take the time to get your gear right, do it right. Join a broadhead league and shoot em all summer. When youre hitting playing card size target at 60 yards, you'll have no trouble hitting deer vitals at 20. And you wont need that "extra half inch."
Then why did you use them on your elk hunt???? Every elk would have been killed with a fix???

1000's of elk have been taken with Rage and you guys seem to have issues???? OK🤪🤪🤪🤪 Maybe shoot better. Also, impossible for a 2-blade not to open.

This line alone makes me laugh and lets everybody not to take you serious (not counting the BS from above). - THEY WERE INVENTED>>>FOR THOSE WHO WOULDNT TAKE THE TIME TO GET HEADS FLYING RIGHT! They wouldn't exist without that fact.

You shoot an elk and it stumbles by your buddy and then he kills it????? Typically an elk will haul a** after its been hit but your elk stumbles right by your buddy to shoot it???🤓

I don't believe one single word in your post. Sounds like a fixed guy that simply wants to bash mechanicals and made up a crazy story.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I didnt use them on an elk hunt. My partners did. Theyve all switched now.

Why else were they invented? No reason for em without that. When bows started picking up speed..out came the gizmos. It was an easy fix for a tough problem - just buy something.

The stumble by was a whitetail. I did have an elk I stuck run past a buddy. He shot it with a gizmo head. When we got to the animal he was like- "were going to have to decide who tags this cuz we both shot it" Then he looked at his arrow- and said- "never mind my penetration would have had him still running- your bull"

Im not a" fixed guy wanting to bash anything." Simply trying to give sound advice based on 40years of experience. I see no reason for those things. I can f-up enough on my own behind the arrow - I dont need something in front of the arrow causing issues and concerns.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I didnt use them on an elk hunt. My partners did. Theyve all switched now.

Why else were they invented? No reason for em without that. When bows started picking up speed..out came the gizmos. It was an easy fix for a tough problem - just buy something.

The stumble by was a whitetail. I did have an elk I stuck run past a buddy. He shot it with a gizmo head. When we got to the animal he was like- "were going to have to decide who tags this cuz we both shot it" Then he looked at his arrow- and said- "never mind my penetration would have had him still running- your bull"

Im not a" fixed guy wanting to bash anything." Simply trying to give sound advice based on 40years of experience. I see no reason for those things. I can f-up enough on my own behind the arrow - I dont need something in front of the arrow causing issues and concerns.
I also have been bow hunting for 40 years and the last 15 years with Rage. Fixed for the 1st 25 years.

Why invented?? how about....

They consistently leave more blood on the ground for better blood trails. Will create more damage because of the cutting diameter. Will give you more room for error if your're off your mark by a few inches. Is more forgiving in wind. Is more forgiving if your form isn't perfect. More than enough energy to get passthroughs consistently.

If your're having issues it's a you problem, not the head as myself and 2 buddies have shot well over 100 animals without an issue but it seems you always do???? Again that's a you problem, not the BH.

If fixed gives you confidence by all means use them and good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you everyone very much for your input, I really appreciate all the advise I can get being new.

Sonny I sent you a PM, if you get time please take a look.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So bunch of dumb ******* shoot a herd of elk with bad set ups and it's the broad heads fault? I only use expandables my favorite is the Jak Hammer. Had a guy tell me it's the worst head ever because they shot a elk 4 times with em and could not get a pass through. Guy had 25" draw and 60 lbs shooting less then 400 gr arrow yep heads fault. I've been bow hunting 30 years dad's been bow hunting 60. We had some dark years using little fix heads. Thing are alot brighter since we switched to expandables. Yes your set up would work fine. Just don't go to crazy 1.3/8" grim reaper would be great. Rage hypodermic would also work well. 1.5 " wasp Jak Hammer select a cut would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Mechanicals have there advantages and disadvantages. As long as you follow a few guidelines you do have adequate momentum & KE to get a lot of the mechanicals to work for you. Lot of life experiences out there & my experience is of one archery hunter. Your DL & DW along with total arrow weight allow me to not discourage using a quality mechanical BH.
  • Stay back from the shoulder at least 1"
  • Only accept square broadside shots or slightly quartering away *
  • Stay away from hard quartering shots. Deflection will likely get you in trouble. *
  • Know the anatomy of the thoracic cavity, along w the bone structure protecting it. *
Understand a double lung shot is hard to beat.

My DL is 30" DW 65 & I am switching away from mechanicals to allow a bit more in the way of shot angles. Shot Nap spitfire 125 gr 3 blade 1.5 did cut for a lot of years.

Wish you well.
Ever think of going to a micro diameter arrow and shoot a little more front of center. I shoot a wasp Jak hammer which is very similar to the spit fire. I have had 1 minor deflection and that was a broadside shot 7 yds below me skidded 2 inches on rib. I ve taken as hard as you go quartering shots on test deer carcus in to ball joints and shoulders. I have also shot 3 or 4 deer hard quartering to and never had a deflection.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ever think of going to a micro diameter arrow and shoot a little more front of center. I shoot a wasp Jak hammer which is very similar to the spit fire. I have had 1 minor deflection and that was a broadside shot 7 yds below me skidded 2 inches on rib. I ve taken as hard as you go quartering shots on test deer carcus in to ball joints and shoulders. I have also shot 3 or 4 deer hard quartering to and never had a deflection.
You may be on to something. Personally I never have had issues w deflection as I listened to my then mentors here. Usually shot 125 gr up front & this year I have went a lot heavier up front. Plantar fasciitis has slowed me down immensely this season perhaps more than plantar fasciitis slowing me down. Lost my dad in March & things just are not the same this fall.

Anyhow, really wanting to try a single bevel this season, yet I see little or no reasons why I could not give the spitfire a go with this Heavy high FOC setup. Surprisingly to me I have shot 100 200 grains up front. All are flying well. My options are many with this 600 to 700 total arrow weight range depending on point weight. I am really anxious to give this a try on one hand. Yet I am not really in to it this season on another hand.

Been a different season for me to be sure. Still have a bit of venison in the freezer from last season so no hurry yet I suppose. Rifle season opened last weekend so we will see what I am able to put together yet I suppose.

·
Banned
176 Posts
As everybody agrees. Mech heads are trash for the long list of reasons. Dont bother with them. Use a fixed blade head as they are always open. Ditch the tiny screws and moving parts and higher failure rate.

Reactions: A.New42

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 29.5” 78#, BE X-Impacts 545 GN 200 GN Iron Will Wides, Fast Eddie XL, Hybrid Hunter Pro
94 Posts
Throw the mechanicals in the trash and pick up your choice of a fixed blade. This deer was shot with a Vertix 30.5” draw length and a 460gr arrow. You can see a white spot on the shoulder where a 2 blade expandable hit him from 26 yards. This Deer is still walking as we speak. I’ve shot many deer in the shoulder blade with my slick trick standards and never had an issue.
View attachment 7311336
Can’t agree more, seen many deer with broken off expandable heads stuck inside the body. You are better off with a good fixed blade. If you want better blood trails... buy bigger fixed blades.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As everybody agrees. Mech heads are trash for the long list of reasons. Dont bother with them. Use a fixed blade head as they are always open. Ditch the tiny screws and moving parts and higher failure rate.
Everybody agrees??????????? Took you awhile to get here but you're another one that comes on every mechanical thread and bashes them so move on and go bash grandma's knitting the with the wrong yarn

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can’t agree more, seen many deer with broken off expandable heads stuck inside the body. You are better off with a good fixed blade. If you want better blood trails... buy bigger fixed blades.
How many deer have you seriously seen? I outfitted for 7 years and hunt and track a lot of deer and have never honestly seen a deer killed with a mechanical or fixed for that matter stuck in their body but you've seen many???????? Right🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

·
Registered
5 Posts
So you tell a new bowhunter that you shot at a deer that you really have no idea what happened but..........you blame the BH??????? The variable is that you have no idea what happened but choose to blame the BH because you can't just plainly say that you made a bad shot. I personally shot a big buck in Iowa back in the early 2000's using a fixed head (Muzzy) and hit it right in the shoulder and got 2" of penetration and the arrow fell out within 10 yards of the deer taking off. I was using a 450gr 300fps Martin Fury at the time. Did I blame the BH?? NO! I blamed myself because I am the one that made the bad shot, NOT the BH!!!!
Everybody agrees??????????? Took you awhile to get here but you're another one that comes on every mechanical thread and bashes them so move on and go bash grandma's knitting the with the wrong yarn
This isn’t a mechanical thread. It’s a mechanical vs fixed thread. Use what you like and are confident with. For this fella who started the thread just getting into archery, I would suggest using a fixed more cushion less to worry about. Just my opinion

·
Banned
176 Posts
settle down tiger. Its ok. You fail to understand this thread and you got all upset. You do this WAY too often. Its lame.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This isn’t a mechanical thread. It’s a mechanical vs fixed thread. Use what you like and are confident with. For this fella who started the thread just getting into archery, I would suggest using a fixed more cushion less to worry about. Just my opinion
And I think the complete opposite as he has plenty of energy that he is shooting to use a quality mechanical.

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 29.5” 78#, BE X-Impacts 545 GN 200 GN Iron Will Wides, Fast Eddie XL, Hybrid Hunter Pro
94 Posts
How many deer have you seriously seen? I outfitted for 7 years and hunt and track a lot of deer and have never honestly seen a deer killed with a mechanical or fixed for that matter stuck in their body but you've seen many???????? Right🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
I have “seriously seen” 5. Im also only 19. Yes that is right, I have seen many.

·
Registered
341 Posts
settle down tiger. Its ok. You fail to understand this thread and you got all upset. You do this WAY too often. Its lame.
NO. I simply defend a BH or type of broadhead that people come on to bash simply because they don't like it and think fixed are the be all and end all. I have said many times, shoot what you have confidence in, fixed or mechanical. But it gets so old with guys like you that bash mechanicals on every single thread.

Again, for the 3 or 4th time in the last few weeks I will mention a thread that was started about a year ago about a study that showed the recovery rate using mechanicals was much, much higher than fixed. But guys like you come on here and say mechanicals are garbage and fixed is the only way to go. So I want to use a head with a higher wounding rate????? So go away baby cub!!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts