Archery Talk Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I don't get involved in these back and forth threads but I will give my experience to maybe help the OP or another hunter trying to decide. When I started bowhunting in the late 90's I was drawing 70 pounds and shooting mechanical heads, mostly 1.5" Spitfires and some 1 3/8"Reapers. I absolutely loved them and could not believe the bloodtrails and how quick the animals would go down. Even at 70 pounds not always complete passes but I know things can happen.

Fast forward 25 years I dropped down to 60 pound bows and tried to adapt with a smaller cut 1.5" +P Rage. In 2017 I shot two deer that should have been a complete passthrough. Both deer were less than 20 yards. One might have been an offside shoulder hit but I never did the autopsy. She was down in 60 yards but the lack of passthrough concerned me. The other deer which was my biggest buck at the time (143") was hit a little far back but perfectly broadside. I was shocked to see the arrow stick in and fail to pass through. I backed out and returned the next morning and found him.

After those two incidents I decided to try the Exodus head and have had complete passthroughs since. Also very good bloodtrails but have not needed to follow because I see them go down. My biggest buck ever was the season of 2018 and I took a hard quartering away shot and the arrow went in the last rib and came out the front of the chest. He was down in seconds but I was thankful that I had a fixed head on. I have heard of (but never experienced) mechanicals cartwheeling or deflecting on hard quartering shots and this was the perfect opportunity for that to happen.

If I was still shooting 70 chances are I would never have switched to fixed. But now after these experiences I am glad I use fixed and probably would not go back to expandables even if I increased to 70 pounds again.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So what changed in you set up? Less poundage... But you also changed to a head that burns energy cutting hide. The spitfires would of out penetrated the rages in my opinion. The spits had sharper blades back then. Plus not cutting hide going in. I'm glad to see you selected the best fix available.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
So what changed in you set up? Less poundage... But you also changed to a head that burns energy cutting hide. The spitfires would of out penetrated the rages in my opinion. The spits had sharper blades back then. Plus not cutting hide going in. I'm glad to see you selected the best fix available.
Pretty much the only thing that changed was the poundage. DL obviousely stayed the same and my arrow weight has always been between 390-450. The reason switching to Rage +P was because I bought into their advertising about low KE and also thought that the Spitfire would penetrate less. Opening spits by hand does require some energy so I figured a slip cam rear deploying head was better. I was probably wrong and should have stayed with over the top Spit. I will say the Reaper was still an excellent penetrating head at 60 but at this point I am just more confident with fixed. The worst head penetration wise for me was the 2" Killzone. Only shot one deer with them but that was enough. With my 70 pound Mathews Z7 the arrow just didn't penetrate like it should have. Deer was a bloody double lung mess but just didn't like the penetration. Again if I happened to move up to 70 pounds I would definitely have some Spitfires (if I can find some American made older ones) or Reapers again. Those things just worked great for me. What it comes down to is matching the head to your specs and equipment. There are so many good choices these days and if you match your specs and shoot true you should have no problems.

Reactions: bowtech761

·
Registered
352 Posts
I must be missing something as again I shoot a 60lb Nocam 28" draw, 425gr arrow and consistently get passthroughs using Trypans and Extremes so I have a hard time understanding with 1.5"P Rage BH's wouldn't be getting passthroughs?? And I'm shooting mature midwestern bucks and does. And I don't see how a 3-blade over the top mechanical is going to out penetrate a 2-blade rear opening BH

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey sonny I'm on your side but I just came in from screwing around with my kids bow ,carcass,and broad heads. The rage hypo stopped at the outsert the 3 blade reaper got to off side ribs both times. 340 grain arrow 37 ish pounds. Reaper loses little energy on entry.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Reaper loses little energy on entry.
I would agree with that. The head doesn't open completely until it's already inside. Rage is open before it gets through the hide. I'm neither here nor there because I've killed with both and never had either one fail, but that has been my experience. I'm one who doesn't put much stock in internet ramblings. I trust what I experience first hand. Exit wounds and mechanical vs. fixed don't mean much to me at all. If I get the arrow inside the rib cage, the deer dies and I eat it. If I don't get the arrow into the rib cage, I know I'm in trouble and will be tracking tough, & might not recover the animal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For a new hunter, use the KISS principle. Use a fixed to start. If a year or so of immersion in archery takes you to a mechanical, then give it a try. Archery is a fluid sport and each individual has so many variables that its difficult to say, you shouldn't use this, or you absolutely need to use that. Find what works for you! I would guess not one of us on here has the exact same set up as another. Sure brands may be the same, but each one is unique to the person wielding the bow as they are also unique.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
For a newer guy k.i.s.s. would be a expandable. New bow probably not tuned to perfection. Good arrow choice but probably factory fletched not a lot of helical to help guide broadheads. So now you got a new guy forced to shoot a small 1" montec because it's the only fix that flys.

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
651 Posts
The ONLY mechanicals were ever invented is because guys couldnt get BH to shoot straight, and would not put in the time to get their gear and shooting right. CRUTCH!
1. todays BH market offers some pretty darn good flying heads
2. If you take the time to get your bow "right" its going to perform better al around
3. Moving parts invite failure. They DO fail....even if the failure rate is low.... you owe it to the animal to put a dependable solid head through the vitals.

I had this discussion with my elk hunting crew. They were big fans of the mechanical heads. Then they had to track a bull 5 miles on shot that should have snuffed him. Then pumped 4 arrows in him at close range - getting maybe 6 inches of penetration until he finally tipped over. Same crew lost 4 wounded elk on the previous trip. They started to realize hmmmm, maybe we need to get something different on the end of the arrow! Heres the thing... by using the crutch...they never really worried about good arrow flight. THAT can effect penetration and accuarcy as much as the head. Double whammy. They all started calling me- "What broadhead are you using???" They all made the switch.

Whitetails are NOT elk. Gadget heads USUALLY perform well on them. But why bother?
You may be right on why they were invented but that doesn't mean they don't have there place. I shoot both, after bare shaft tuning, so it doesn't really matter what I shoot. Shooting whitetail I prefer mechs because of the exit hole they make and blood trails they leave. Probably would be the same with a fixed blade with the shots I typically make BUT, the mechs make a bigger hole so I use them. Hunting elk is a different matter but they are not a crutch to me and many other hunters, they are a choice.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I ve seen fix heads not kill in the ribs before.
I haven't. No doubt there's a certain set of circumstances where it could be possible. But it's not normal and I've never experienced it. Every time I've gotten a broad head inside the rib cage, the deer has been recovered.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Doe buddy got on public small fix head back of ribs going towards shoulder. Meet the guy who's brother shot swore dead deer. Other buddy shot big 10 using thunderhead right behind shoulder could hear blood dripping in leaves waiting to fall over but never did jumped it 2 hrs later. Guy got it gun season chasing doe could hardly run. Guy told him your shot was perfect no idea how he was alive. Again thunderhead neighbor hit shoulder but broke arrow in rib cage. Lived 10 days before gun Hunter got him

·
Registered
709 Posts
The only study i have ever seen with any kind of reliable data shows that fixed blades had a recovery rate of 82 % and mechanicals were at 89% off compound and 82 for fixed and up to 91% off of a xbow. These were hard numbers off of a managed piece of Gov't land that everyone had to pass a shooting profency test to get to hunt there. Last i saw over 1000 deer were killed with fixed and something like 160 with mechs. The mech total numbers are lower because for many years they didn't allow them, because they were worried they wouldn't work. Then when they did decide to allow them, they found recovery rates were higher with the mechs

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my first bow about a month ago now. It is a Bowtech Convergence. Currently set at 63# & 29.5 draw. I am running Black Eagle Rampage arrows w/ their halfouts, 3 blazer vanes, and Nockturnal nocks. I have come up with 494 grain total arrow weight (if using 100grain head); this total includes BH, halfout, shaft, vanes and nocks.

My question is am I making enough KE to use mechanicals, or should I be using fixed? I am not sure how many FPS my bow is shooting.
I’ve always used fixed being out west and never want not opening to be something that happens enough things in bow hunting that are hard enough

61 - 78 of 78 Posts