Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG I am terrible at setting these things up. I wear a "linemans" harness type thing, use climbing sticks, ratchet straps etc, but I still totally SUCK at getting these things up. I sweat my balls off trying to do it and eventually it gets done. But what a pain in the neck, wrists, and shoulders. I must be doing it wrong. I cannot imaging doing it very often or changing stands set ups in the middle of a hunt.

I need HELP.:cry:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I put mine up by myself most of the time...im about 5'7" 120lbs...it can be difficult at times to say the least...:confused:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
They are a pain but I just take my time and try to go slow so I don't sweat so much...it's a labor of love I guess...my fixed standsdon't get moved that much and I mainly use my climber when roaming or hunting new spots.

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
Lowes sells a cool little gizmo called a "rope ratchet".:wink: It cost about $15. Buy that and 50' of braided rope(($15). Cut a 10' piece of rope to use as a hanging strap for the ratchet. run the remaining 40' of rope through the ratchet. Tie one end of the rope on the stand. Have equal amounts of rope coming out both ends of the ratchet. Tie the ratchet about 4 or 5 feet above where you want the stand to hang. Go back down and pull the stand up through the ratchet. Now the stand is hanging where you want it. Go back up and fasten it off per the instructions. I always add a ratchet strap around the bottom of the frame at the platform for added stability. I hung 11 stands last weekend with my wife along to call 911 in case I fell.:eek: It does suck trying to pull them up, hold onto them and fasten them while hanging from a lineman's strap.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Can you say Climbers? I love my climber, all I do is scout out a few different trees for different wind conditions and hours. Walk in strap it to a tree and climb up in about 10 minutes tops. Just make sure before season to trim and your done.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
re

I have been doing it for 8 yrs, and I think it is getting easier.
Here are the steps I take. I hope they help. Some stands have a chain that wraps around the tree securely, some have straps.

1- I use screw in steps. I set them in a way that I can get up the tree. When I get to the spot I want to hang the stand I then(step #2) position a few steps around the tree on the level of my feet(allowing me to get arond the tree) #3 -Get the stand facing the way I want it,wrap the chain or strap (thats connected to the stand) around the tree snug enough so it wont fall.(dont worry if it is not real tight yet) 4- Then get a ratchet strap at the base of the stand pretty tight, 5-then one at the to pretty tight. If the stand looks and feels as though it is in a descent position, 6-then tighten the chain or strap nice and tight. That is what I do, and it seems to work quite well. If you can use a ladder to put the stand up, it makes it much easier. Good luck, and hopefully this makes it a little easier for next time.

·
Banned
4,365 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've always figured if I was going to hang something like a Lonewolf Alpha Hang On, that I would attach the climbing sticks to the tree, and then climb up, with the stand on my back (with the backpack straps that are made for carrying on your back), then, when I get to the top of the climbing sticks, take the stand off my back, and open it and hang it.
IN all reality, you can put several straps with hooks on a bunch of different trees, all over your hunting area, and all you have to do, is climb up, and hook the stand on, in the tree you wish to hunt.
It's all downhill from there...

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
A lot of trees I hung stands in this year I could get my Lone Wolf around. I zipped up it, pulled up the stand, hung it and put the steps in on the way down. I love my climber but I really like having stands already hung, especially come late season. I have also been using the drill attachment that zips the steps in. I just hook it to the 18volt Dewalt drill. Even in a beech tree each step only took a second or so, I couldn't even start them by hand.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooked said:
Can you say Climbers? I love my climber, all I do is scout out a few different trees for different wind conditions and hours. Walk in strap it to a tree and climb up in about 10 minutes tops. Just make sure before season to trim and your done.
Yes I CAN say climber. I have one and I use it alot. I have some private land to hunt this year and I'm adding a few lock on types for the areas close to some nice beds that I DON'T WANT to use a climber.

Thanks anyway

To the others, thanks. I think I'm doing it right , but it still sucks. I'll maybe give the "Ratchet Rope" a try.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
pizzle said:
Yes I CAN say climber. I have one and I use it alot. I have some private land to hunt this year and I'm adding a few lock on types for the areas close to some nice beds that I DON'T WANT to use a climber.

Thanks anyway

To the others, thanks. I think I'm doing it right , but it still sucks. I'll maybe give the "Ratchet Rope" a try.
Your the one that said they suck and you need help. I just gave my opinion and the way I do it. Sorry wont happen again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What I've been doing for a few years now is to tie my bow pull up rope/line to my stand, and then tie the line to my back belt loop. Climb the tree in whatever manner suits you (I use Step Sticks). Then grab the line and haul the stand up.

That way it's only one trip up the tree.

My $.02.

Ray

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wow! I can't stand my climber. Yeah it may be aluminum and only weigh 21lbs. But what a pain in the rear. besides I don't feel very secure in it. I prefer my lok-ons any day. And ladder stands ,Yeah I've got a few and can't stand them either. Granted lok-ons can be a pain to put up. But, you can put them in trees that you can't use a climber in.

I install my strap-on steps then I carry my stand up the tree using the shoulder straps. It is really not that big of a deal to me. But then again I'm 6'1" and 195lbs. And am used to physical type of work.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
2nd the rope rachet......

works like a charm for hoisting the stand up, and holding it in place while you get the rigging ready. There is definitely an art to hanging stands, and it can be a real pain, but to me, it's as much a part of bowhunting as shooting the bow. Another reason bowhunting is not for everyone.....it takes some planning and work before a person can hunt.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
tree stand contortionist

not sure how many more years I can do this !!!!
I use a drill to install my steps ,, makes it a little easier
but thinkin of a climber more and more,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here in SE Nebraska there are very few trees that you could even "think" about using a climber in........ at least on the properties I hunt!
I use hang ons almost exclusively(I have 2 ladder stands) and yes,they can be tough to get set up at times!
I put up between 20-25 stands a year and use a cordless drill for starting a pilot hole for the steps and use the haul rope for for the bow to bring the stand up......... once I climb up to the desired height I want.
If at all possible I try to hang the stand near a "fork" or "Crotch" in the tree.....this makes for a great place to sit/stand and safely haul the tree stand up and hang it.
Putting up that many stands is alot of work......but it sure is nice to have a choice of stands to hunt no matter the wind direction or which properties your huntin.
I prefer the Big Game hang on`s as they are priced right and when hung correctly...........these stands are solid/comfortable/make very little noise(if any) and are great to hunt from with the large platforms they have.

·
Registered
36,021 Posts
If you can use your climber

Tie a rope on your fixed stand, then use your climber and climb, get up to 20 feet then pull up the fixed stand and hang it,,,,I also use a 18 volt drill and screw in steps, they are strapped to the stand in a bag, I put the steps in the tree on the way back down....Its very easy. :) :) :)

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I am a small guy, and I don't see the big deal in hanging a stand. Get some good screw ins and there is no need for drill - good ones like Cransfords go in easily. Get to the right height and secure the climbing belt. Now you have both hands free (also a bid deal for screwing in the steps). Pull the stand up (we are only talking what, 12 lbs max here), sling the strap around, latch it and pull fairly snug.

I think what a lot of guys miss with these is this: Keep the stand folded up when attaching the strap. The strap need not be real tight at all. Simply unfold the stand and push it down to "seat" the stand. It will slide a slight bit down the tree and then the belt will be plenty tight and the stand will be solid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts