Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bow and it has a really nice custom grip on it, but of course it has someonelses name on it, not mine. I wonder if I could take the sealler top off that one side and just get down to the wood. I was thinking of getting some Walnut wood filler and fill in where his name is engraved , sand a little more and stain again and finish with clear. Would that work?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I doubt that filling it in will work. As a general rule, stain will not take to filler the same way it takes to the wood around the area you filled so the name will still be there is will just be dark in color and flush to the grip. You would have to sand the entire name away to remove it.

I vote just leave it there and tell people that you named your bow.:D

·
Registered
943 Posts
previous poster is most likely correct in that wood will wil not typically take stain the same way as wood paint however is you friend in this situation lightly sand the grips fill in the name with wood putty or bondo then sand smooth and paint them

·
Registered
409 Posts
repair?

get a grip man,a new one

·
Registered
131 Posts
grip repair

There is a specific putty that you can get that will stain...check at lowes or home depot....it is pricey......but you can take it and add the stain to the darkness you want..........then putty and then sand and lightly stain the whole thing.....make sure you wipe off excess and do this as many times as needed....the putty is made of real sawdust and wood.....so it stains like wood...they use it a lot in antiques etc.........Good Luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is a link to a thread I posted about a grip that I made using the factory grip.. However it you could just do a lite coat of bondo and then finish it. Perhaps tape off the handle leaving only the engraved part showing and then expanding it all the way around the handle. Make just a band around the handle or something that still looks good but makes it personal to you.

Just my .02

Bow Grip

:)

·
Venison Junkie
1,274 Posts
Another Alternative

You can sand the name all or part of the way off. If it is a laminated grip sand it down to the first lamination that will completely incircle the engraving. Then take a good quality waterproof wood glue (i.e. Titebond II) And glue on however many layers of hardwood laminate that you removed. hten you can file and sand to shape and refinish as you like. Take the time to sand with down to a 320 or 400 grit before finishing, then sand the finish with 400 and 600 grit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts