Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to the range. I opened my bow case and grabbed a handful of arrows and stepped to the line. The first shot went wildly high and right and I heard a loud crack when it hit the pin holding the target. When I pulled the arrow I discovered it did not have a point on it. The insert is distorted, but the arrow looks fine. What is the best method of removing an insert from a carbon arrow without wrecking the arrow?

Automan

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
automan26 said:
Yesterday I went to the range. I opened my bow case and grabbed a handful of arrows and stepped to the line. The first shot went wildly high and right and I heard a loud crack when it hit the pin holding the target. When I pulled the arrow I discovered it did not have a point on it. The insert is distorted, but the arrow looks fine. What is the best method of removing an insert from a carbon arrow without wrecking the arrow?

Automan
Put a point or a screw into the insert and heat the point or screw gently...the insert will pull out easily!

·
(aka lug nut)
48,474 Posts
automan26 said:

Automan
Two ways.

Screw in a field point,
and heat the tip of the point.

Try pulling on the point,
and pull out the point and insert together.

Other way,
remove the nock,
and find a drill bit that just fits the arrow shaft,
and then sharply flick your wrist
to accelerate the drill bit
into the insert.

Raise the arrow shaft again, and have the drill bit
slide back to the nock end of the arrow,
and then flick your wrist down sharply and drive the
drill bit into the insert end of the arrow shaft.

A couple times should be enough
for this "slide hammer" technique to
break the glue bond.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,493 Posts
The best way i have found to remove a glued insert in a carbon arrow is hammer them out. Pull your noc. Find a drill bit the is just a little smaller than the inside diameter of the shaft. Place it in the shaft, whip the arrow like your casting with a fly rod. You really have to whip it. It mite take a few times but it will work.

Oh, yeah make sure your doing it in a safe direction:tongue:

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try.

Automan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts