Archery Talk Forum banner

Fixing an old knife

1697 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Pierre Couture
I have a couple of German friends I got to know about ten years ago here in Québec City. They had a house here back then, and they had seen me making knives durind a one-man show in May in Old Québec. Here is one of the knives that they brought me for repairs...

As it was...

I had to saw off the copper ring on the guard and remove the old pin.

And then solder on a new guard, and install a ringed gidgee handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,297 Posts
Nice job

Boy I bet they will be happy. I would love to have that knife.

· Registered
637 Posts
Did they happen to say what the knife was used for? looks to be a REAL BRUTE. But beautiful job on the touch up. amazing how a old worn knife can be transformed into a beautiful work of art with a little bit of TLC. Great Job.:thumbs_up

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they happen to say what the knife was used for? looks to be a REAL BRUTE. But beautiful job on the touch up. amazing how a old worn knife can be transformed into a beautiful work of art with a little bit of TLC. Great Job.:thumbs_up
It was, and is, part of my friend's collection. The handle I took off wasn't the original one either.... It's a Carl Schlieffer(n spelling?) African Hunter, with a very thick back and a wicked convex edge...

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I presume it's German made originally. Solingen? Do you have any history on it?
I noticed that you made a notch on the blade near the guard. Nice work.
I don't have any history on the knife, it's back in Berlin. and the notch gave it a nice touch...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.