Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a right handed mission endeavor bow 10 years ago from a pro shop even though I am am left eye dominate. After talking with multiple shops recently I was told that is wrong. So I bought a used left handed Hoyt crx 32 last week. Probably next year or the following year I plan on buying a higher end newer bow. Any suggestions on what bow I should consider buying and why?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I bought a right handed mission endeavor bow 10 years ago from a pro shop even though I am am left eye dominate. After talking with multiple shops recently I was told that is wrong. So I bought a used left handed Hoyt crx 32 last week. Probably next year or the following year I plan on buying a higher end newer bow. Any suggestions on what bow I should consider buying and why?
Really, the only good advice is to go shoot as many as you can. No one can tell you what bow will fit you best, feel the best to you, and is one you'd be willing to live with. All I can say is don't stick to any one brand. Try even the ones you may not have considered. I never planned on owning a Hoyt, but now I own one. Would never have considered Xpedition, but now I have an X33 on order. The Darton Spectre E is an amazing bow, super quiet, and amazingly balanced.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Same as above; shoot as many bows as possible and choose the one that feels the best to you. My only suggestion is to consider a bow with adjustable draw length mods. Since you are switching sides and relearning your form, you may need to adjust your draw length multiple times. Much easier to do on an adjustable mod than on a bow that requires buying different mods (e.g. Mathews). When your form is set, then module-based bows will be easier, and less expensive, to adjust to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My suggestion is just to time it correctly with the release of the new years' models. You can get a decent amount off of previous years bows compared to the new releases.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,885 Posts
About any bow out there.............depends on what you are looking for. We don't know what you are looking for. IOW it's like you asking me what is a great dinner? As far as quality and how they work they are ALL good so you have to know what you want....we can't tell you that.

If you don't know what "you" want you really aren't ready to buy yet so keep shooting your current bow until you figure that out. Good luck

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,760 Posts
i'm cross eye dominant as well and used to just shoot with my left eye closed and use a right handed bow. i do not want to switch to a left handed bow so i have been using a double vision blocker. i can now shoot with both eyes open no problem, it allows me to see more and for the first time i can actually track my arrow in flight. right handed bows are far more plentiful than left handed bows. for me eye dominance isn't a dictator to switch to left handed bows

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About any bow out there.............depends on what you are looking for. We don't know what you are looking for. IOW it's like you asking me what is a great dinner? As far as quality and how they work they are ALL good so you have to know what you want....we can't tell you that.

If you don't know what "you" want you really aren't ready to buy yet so keep shooting your current bow until you figure that out. Good luck
Thing is I need to switch from right handed to left handed so in terms of practice and building up the muscles. How am I supposed to do that if I continue to shoot with my right handed bow. So yes I'm ready just am still new to archery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really, the only good advice is to go shoot as many as you can. No one can tell you what bow will fit you best, feel the best to you, and is one you'd be willing to live with. All I can say is don't stick to any one brand. Try even the ones you may not have considered. I never planned on owning a Hoyt, but now I own one. Would never have considered Xpedition, but now I have an X33 on order. The Darton Spectre E is an amazing bow, super quiet, and amazingly balanced.
There isn't a Xpedition dealer near me, so hard to try them out.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Shoot what is comfortable to you and your eye. Make your own decisions. Don't be swayed by other opinions.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,885 Posts
Thing is I need to switch from right handed to left handed so in terms of practice and building up the muscles. How am I supposed to do that if I continue to shoot with my right handed bow. So yes I'm ready just am still new to archery.
Then I'd try right handed bows to keep things consistent right now. Try them until you find one you like but then order a lefty. If you try to do both at the same time it will be hard to tell for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wound up buying a bowtech Amplify, something fully adjustable so I can gradually increase the draw weight. I like it so far. Have fired over 100 arrows from it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do, just needed something adjustable for now until the strength builds up since I am switching from right handed to left handed.

·
Registered
VXR 28
15 Posts
Shoot asany as you can but in terms of building up weight the matthews cam system is pretty slick, you can change dw in about 2min without a bow press.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts