Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my wife's Christmas present and something that came to my mind immediately is a top rate flashlight like a Surefire or Fenix. Why? Good question. First, her new job has her driving a lot and with the daylight hours getting shorter and shorter these days she's going to see some darkness more and more so it's going to be part of her daily routine. Second she likes shiny objects like watches, nice pens, etc., stuff that goes in her purse, so a premium flashlight is a great accessory. Third, she's a tough and practical lady who likes to feel capable and it's a great tool to have. Fourth, she seems to always want to have a flashlight on hand for EVERYTHING, from finding fallen keys or change in the gap between the washing machine and the wall or between the car seat and the center console, looking at bugs to determine if they're harmful, to examining anything tiny up close even the hairs on the top of my head. Dark night conditions often make her jittery--that's one of the first things she tells me-- so naturally light seems to be her friend. Bad weather on the radar? Guess what's first on the list: find the flashlights. It seems like illumination is a very comforting thing.

So do you like flashlights? Carry one with you regularly? If so, what kind do you have, if you notice? Would having a better one be something you'd enjoy more? Would a nice one impress you?

This won't be the only present I get her, not by any means, but I'm thinking this might be a good one. I have other sure winners in the bag already like Bath and Body Works lotion and fuzzy PJ's. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the streamlight flashlights the rechargeable stinger, These flashlights are also excellent for tracking game. I normally don't carry my stinger with me since I would hate it if it got stolen. I do carry it on long rides just not on daily driving. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have been involved in Law Enforcement for many years and I would never head out on duty without my Streamlight Poly Stinger, and two spare cells in my duty bag. Best darned lights anywhere, and I've tried a lot of flashlights.

It's not huge very tough, very bright and it will not get "cold" in your hands like a metal body light.

I really want a Poly Stinge DS LED with it's peak @ 185 lumens, that's bright!

Streamlight makes some awesome products... Then again my Pelican dive lights are pretty spiffy, small and bright, and totally waterproof.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I like the streamlight flashlights the rechargeable stinger, These flashlights are also excellent for tracking game. I normally don't carry my stinger with me since I would hate it if it got stolen. I do carry it on long rides just not on daily driving. Hope this helps
+1 on the Stinger its a good light

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm a lot like your wife. I have a big Mag light in my car, have one on my side of the bed and I also have a small one in my purse, and in my bow case. I received them as gifts from my husband. I have terrible night vision and I often use the one in my purse going to and from my car. I think it's a great gift / stocking stuffer.

One of my friends and her husband both have head lamps, I thought it was kinda funny but after thinking about how handy they could be I might pick up a couple of those myself and put them under the tree.

Sorry I have no clue on what brand is best, I just care if it works when I need it, I think your wife will appreciate what ever brand you buy. Feeling safe, feels good.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do the Streamlights measure up against Surefire, or vice versa?

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
I am a fan of mag lights. The great big ones are perfect for dark nights- and will make her feel safe because it can also be used as a club :) I also like carrying one of the smaller ones in my purse.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
http://www.lifehammer.com/

Here is a nifty little tool that would go good with a good flashlight. I always worry about being trapped in the car. I really should get one of these for myself.

I bought some really cheap LED lights from a guy on here, they are small and bright, they are all over the house...lol...I found a nice little one at Auto Zone the other day too. I think I real good one would be a nice present!!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
We've got mag lights in every building & vehicle here... they work fine and are really tough. Some of the new LED lights out there have me interested though too... good luck and great idea!! Let me know what you decide on.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like Fenix fit the bill for this occasion. REI had a P2D on sale for $45 shipped so that fit the budget just nicely. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts