Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I always found if i just took my fingers and ruffled em back up they went back to their normal position

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
Like the post above, I always heard that you could use a teapot to steam them and they will return close to their original shape.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
You can either steam them, or just lightly soak in water then "sling" most of the water out and let it air dry.

· Registered
462 Posts
I am no expert but have shot feathers for a long time. Most of the time a tea pot on the stove works. As the steam comes out just steam the feathers and the shape will return. Most of the time with steam alone but you may have to help them. If steam dosn't work, rip them off and refletch them.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
The people that tie flies use steam from the tea pot. I've seen videos of flies they done this too after a day of fishing them. Watching it reminds you of a magic trick. The stick it in the steam and everything starts going back to the "as tied" position.

I've never tried it on feathers used for fletching but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
feathers are a whole lot tougher than most think. steam em, then rub em backwards. they can handle it!

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Have you thought about trying steam?

· Registered
2,656 Posts
I've heard that steam works...

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
I've heard steam works good! ;) actually it does work, really well, sometimes tho after alot of shooting they will start to get tattered and sections missing, you can replace em,,, they will still shoot just fine, just won't look as good. ;)
I've been shooting feather fletching for quite some time and steam is the answer.
Its funny that a torn vane will shoot poorly but a torn or tattered feather will still shoot fine.

· Registered
580 Posts
yep.......steam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.