Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking this was better to post here than the string forum…
it is time to make a new string and i have some tan 97 and some black d55.
i was thinking about using both to have a two color string for my modern recurve (hoyt satori). Any thoughts or is it just a bad idea?
thanks for any help!

·
Registered
21,886 Posts
B -

The D97 will be doing most of the work and the D-55 (which I assume is Dacron) will just be adding weight going along for the ride), which may or may not be a good thing. So that has to be your call. I just don't think it's buying you anything.

Viper1 out.

Reactions: Bigwood

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Bad idea but there is an option to add contrasting color. Lay up your string with the necessary number of strands of D97, then add a strand or two of B55 in a different color. The D97 will carry the workload and the B55, having more stretch, won't do any of the work but will add a little color. It still adds bulk to the string, so consider your nock size. Some strings are overbuilt to the point that dropping a couple of strands of D97 will still be more than adequate. I started using an accent strand several years ago when all that I had on hand was a single color of low stretch string material. The idea of using a single strand of a contrasting color B55 to help identify string bundles was my reason for starting to do this.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,445 Posts
I am speculating since I am unaware of any testing done on this question.

Interesting question. Two materials will act like parallel springs, meaning the strength with be the sum of the reciprocals (i.e. 1/x1 + 1/x2).

It's like having two springs of different strengths. They both do work, but they are not additive.

The problem is what stick monkey brought up. The strands will not stretch the same so you will get internal abrasion.

A string is much more likely to fail from abrasion than from insufficient strength.

Many string materials already mix materials in forming the strands. These, however, are carefully engineered to avoid the problems that we are bringing up.

I would not do it. Especially mixing strings with such a large diameter difference.

It is possible that the diameter difference may even impact the stability of the splice (slippage). There are special knots used when using materials of different diameters.

But then, I am a single-color string maker and I make continuous loop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts