Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the talk about hylicals (right verses left) and strait talk verses offset has me curious. We all pretty much agree that hylical direction doesn't make much if any difference, (unless you are from the oppisite hemisphere as your fletch)........but my question is what does a hylical fletch do different than an offset fletch? Are they not both done with the idea of creating spin? The only thing I can think of just out of common sence would be the ammount of spin???????? I am new to the technical end of this and was just wondering....THANKS

·
Registered
441 Posts
you're right.Helical puts more spin on the arrow stabilizing the arrow better especially with a large broadhead.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with that in mind, would that mean that in regards to hylical vs. offset, that if hylical has more spin.......then more spin equals more drag which equals less speed with hylical. So then how sugnificant of a speed loss would we be talking about.......maybe I am thinking way deeper about this than I need to be, but this really is interresting. ALL the variables to the equation of our fun could drive a person nuts huh.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
cool site!!!!

it gets better go to the top of your page and hit search then enter the topic of what befuddle's you....LEARN

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can give yourself as much of a headache as you want thinking about this.LOL.I shoot a Hoyt MT Sport @60 lbs with a whisker biscuit rest.two weeks ago I shot two arrows through a chronograph.One helical and one spiral fletch.There was ONE foot per second difference!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
30 - I don't think there's a huge difference in downrange speed between helical and offsets, but there can be a huge difference in rest clearance issues - unless you're using some sort of a fall-away rest, that is...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
441 Posts
georgestrings said:
30 - I don't think there's a huge difference in downrange speed between helical and offsets, but there can be a huge difference in rest clearance issues - unless you're using some sort of a fall-away rest, that is...

- georgestrings
I use to think that too georgestrings...til I tried the Whisker Biscuit rest.It ain't nothing but contact.Doesn't seem to affect accuracy.But that does only apply to the WB.All others still use normal rules.LOL

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Continuous contact such as you have with a WB should not have an adverse effect on arrow flight, but the momentary contact of fletch or vane hitting the shelf or rest will tend to tip the arrow one direction or another. The more heilical one has on the arrow the more drag to the rear of the arrow and hence straightening flight sooner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts