Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys orietatate your fletchings for 3 fletch and 4 fletch.
? Odd feather out or towARDS RISER

·
Registered
37 Posts
super shot, I have only been shooting traditional for 1 1/2 yr and have much more to learn than advice to give but I can tell a considerable difference for the good after turning my cock feather in with 3 feathers.Dont really know if that is a common preference.works for me though.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I've never had any problems with the odd feather in or out, 3 or 4 fletch. If you have the right spine arrow, everything is properly tuned, and you have a half-way decent release, it shouldn't matter. I don't have a great release, but I can shoot my arrows with no feather at all at least 20 yds and get good flight (unless I really flub my release). The culprit may be arrow spine or a release problem. One other thing to watch for is a nock that fits too tight--that can bugger your arrow flight even if you have everything else right.

Chad

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Technically, the cock feather should be out. Accuracy-wise it doesn't make any difference - for feather fletching. With plastic vanes, the cock vane had better be out or the vane will bounce off of the rest. IMO, the big difference between cock feather being in or out is seen in the wear-and-tear on the fletching (I do alot of shooting).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
For some reason my arrows like cock feather in off my long bow. Arrows shoot great bare shafted out to 20 yards, but kick pretty hard left when I had cock feather out. Not sure why but it shoots darts with it in and in it stays. I do care why. LOL
I have other bows that it does not matter...
Reguardless, I have all three feathers the same color.
Just my personal perference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I shoot 3 fletch out of my longbows. I normally shoot cock feather out, but found out they shoot to the same place with cock feather in. I like that. One less thing to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts