Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What adhesive do you guys use for vanes? Do you use the same for inserts? I currently use Gold Tip Tip Grip.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fletch Weld by 30-06 outdoors. They gave us some to try when we started carrying some of their stuff. Works great.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've used a bit of everything, but find Loctite blue gel works great. Easy to get a local stores like Walmart and Ace hardware. If I'm ordering online, I like Goat Tuff High Performance glue.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The VERY best adhesive for vanes or feathers is Bhoning Flex Bond. Just be sure to PROPERLY clean the shafts with either Ajax or Old Dutch cleanser and HOT water then rinse with HOT water and air dry.
HOT MELT adhesive is all I will put inserts in with because you warm the point and adjust them if need. Any other adhesive will ruin the shafts if you have to adjust them. I WILL NOT BUY ANY SHAFTS FROM THE CLASSIFIED UNLESS THEY GLUED WITH HOT MELT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used several different glues for fletching over the years. But when Mike Carter(Crackers Strings) turned me on to Saunders NPV archery adhesive, I won't use anything else. It only takes a couple minutes to set up enough to remove the clamp, you can shoot it after 30min. and is cured fully over night. Instant glues are brittle and you can peal the fletching off easily. Flexbond takes forever to dry in the clamp, but is tough. NPV is so tough you can't pull the vane off without tearing it. It also has a very long shelf life if you don't open it. You can get it from Saunders and now Lancaster archery sells it now. Try a tube of it and you will never want to use anything else.

·
>>>--Shoot Em' Up---->
19,493 Posts
G-Team Pro Premium Fletching Glue. You will find that you will use less using this stuff and it sets up FASSSST! Call Cheri at 954-588-2234 and order yourself a bottle or more today. Every shop that I let try was very impressed. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,638 Posts
Yes some super glues, cyanoacrylate, are brittle, but some have additives that give them some flex and impact strength. I have used the loctite gel super glue mentioned above, but the stuff is expensive for the small amount you get in the bottle. I now use gorilla super glue. It comes in different viscosities from liquid to gel. There is a lot of glue in the bottle for the cost and the stuff is very very tough. Give the vane about 4 minutes or 5 minutes to set before removing clamp, then allow to dry for another 30 minutes before using. These times are just what I use and are approximate.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I still use the Bohning platinum. Clean the shaft and the vanes well before starting and I have very few problems. For inserts I too use the blue low temp hot melt works great!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm having very good results with the NVP Saunder glue.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
FYI

The most important thing here is to CLEAN the arrow shaft using a cleaner that does not leave any oils or residue.

I use Coleman Fuel. (White Gas)

Acetone, alcohol, kerosene, paint thinner, Purple Clean and turpentine all leave stuff when it evaporates.
These products clean but keep the glue from doing a good job.
The result? Veins that fall off after several shots.

White gas however does not leave residue and leaves a perfect surface for whatever adhesive you choose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts