Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quik Spins

I am going to try the 3" Quik Spin vanes this year. I have heard good things. I target shot with them and they definately are more accurate. Some say they are noisy, however, I tested that and compared them to what I was shooting and no difference. I have to believe they stabilize the arrow as well.

·
Registered
915 Posts
just a note on the quickspins...theyre probably around twice as heavy as normal vanes, and maybe 4 times as heavy as feathers. The other thing, yes, they do spin and stabilize the arrow, but do to that largre profile, and the kicker, theres a ton of drag. If your a hunter who likes to take long shots (like this 100 yard elk shot wiht blazers i heard about...) then i wouldnt use quickspins. Unless of course your getting something like 340 fps ;)

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I am in the process of setting up my ACCs with some 3" vanes now. I am using Flex Fletch (only thing I will use) 300 LP's. They are a very low profile vane that I would really only recommend for those that will shoot mechanicals like I do and for those that really know how to super tune a bow. Other wise I would go with the regular 3" or 3 1/2" Flex Fletch.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
To the average bowhunter I'd recommend 12" of fletch. While there are a lot of circumstances that come up where most any fletch will work, a 4" vane or feather will steer a fixed blade broadhead very well........5" even better. Feathers grab a little more air than vanes, but both work well.
Like B.H. says, the better your bow is tuned, the more you can get away with. Why chance it on a hunting shaft though? You get one shot with a bow most times.
Guys that shoot all year know exactly what they can get away with. The average bowhunter shoots a few months a year and , unfortunatly, mistakes or unforseen circumstances can arise when in the woods. Its not worth the couple grains of weight you save for less control.
There are vanes on the market like Blazers or Quick Spins that grab more air with a shorter vane. These are an exception to the rule and Blazers especially can control the shaft very well.
JMO,
Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts