Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just wanted to thank you folks who responded to my fletching glue epic fail yesterday!
I conglomerated everyones advice and heres how it went today:

1) I reprepped the shafts with denatured alcohol instead of the 91% isopropyl.

2) I went to the hardware store and bought a fresh 4 gm container of Loctite Gel Control.

3) I tweaked the adjustments of the clamp on my Bitz to make sure that thing was dead on.

4) Since it's winter and our house is dry, I even sprayed some steam on the shaft from the iron to give a slight bit of moisture to activate the CA in the glue.

Now that I changed all those things, its' hard to say which one was the ticket or a combination of everything. I really like that Loctite Gel Control, good precise application.

The glue set right up, no problems, fletched continuously until done. Tonight they're looking pretty tight but I won't shoot for 24 hours.

I did try a bare shaft without the wrap and it seemed like the fletching/glue just "wanted" to stick more. We'll see. I have a set of stumping arrows that I applied fletching right to the shaft and those things are rock solid. This is my first go round with glue on the wrap as I was using the Bohning tape with mixed results, so I'll have to see which holds up longer, the bare shaft glue job or the wrap glue job.

Thanks again!! Happy shooting!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Good prep is the key for any glue. I liked the loctite at first, but after several months it becomes very brittle and I can peel the vanes off easily. Depends on the vane also, some work better if you also clean the base of the vane. Blazers stick great out of the package.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Use Flex-Bond and your problems are over. I prep just like always--acetone on arrows until no more black comes off on paper towel-then a couple of swipes on the base of vane already in clamp. Apply glue, allow to dry for 15 minutes. But, I don't shoot arrow for 24 hours.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
Not sure what vanes you're using, but they are not all created equal when it comes to gluing them on. I use mostly QS's and Maxbond glue. They flat out stick with absolutely no prep at all. Same for Blazers. I can shoot them "through" a target as soon as the last vane is on........takes about 1.5 min per arrow to fletch. But I tried some other vanes a few years ago and they wouldn't even think about sticking even from the start. Apparently they have to be prepped or something in order to stick. No thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try prepping shafts with bleach, if it doesn't destroy the wraps. The CA glues use chlorine to bond.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts