Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to carbon arrows.

How do you keep fletching glue from getting on your black carbon shafts and turning them white ? And how do you get the glue off without damaging the shaft ?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I keep a couple wet qtips next to me when i'm fletching. If i see some glue sqeeze out from under vane, i swipe the tip over it . I use acetone when stripping vanes and gule. I actually soak the entire shaft in acetone for several hrs. I was advised to do this by Gold Tip and it hasn't harmed the shafts. Good luck.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
The golden rule when appling glue to fletching is not to use too much.
If you have a lot of glue squeezing out from underneath, you have overdone it.
It is surprising how little glue is needed to hold the fletch on.
I always put a small blob at the leading edge of the fletch afterwards to give an extra hold point.
Some do the same at the rear also.

I remove old fletch and glue with careful use of a sharp knife.

Kev

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Yeah a little goes a long way when it comes to glueing on vanes...If I do get a little glue that comes out when I press the clamp down I keep either some q-tips or a rag close by and wipe the excess away before it dries.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have to same issue....but to tell you the truth it doesn't hurt the arrow. Just looks sloppy. I've been shooting fine with my Axis arrows. Just shot a 260 out of 300 for 3d. I unfortunately have some white on my new Fatboys, but i'm sure they'll fly just fine too. Just try to use less glue next time, and try to wipe as much off if you do have too much.

Happy shooting, hope it helps.:wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The best way to keep glue off of your arrow shafts and to keep from damaging your arrow shafts when removing said glue with a sharp object is an ARROW WRAP. Adds just a few grains per shaft but nothing to fuss about. Makes your arrows easier to spot when you miss...which never happens to us, right? Adds a little personal flair to your sticks.

The best thing to remove wraps and glue from your shafts is to soak your arrows in DENATURED ALCOHOL. I wouldn't use acetone, as mentioned above, even if Gold Tip told me to. It's too harsh of a chemical and likely compromises the strength and stability of your arrow shaft. Denatured Alcohol does just as good of a job and is a much gentler chemical.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
i have to same issue....but to tell you the truth it doesn't hurt the arrow. Just looks sloppy. I've been shooting fine with my Axis arrows. Just shot a 260 out of 300 for 3d. I unfortunately have some white on my new Fatboys, but i'm sure they'll fly just fine too. Just try to use less glue next time, and try to wipe as much off if you do have too much.

Happy shooting, hope it helps.:wink:
i have had issues with the guys at the shop fletching my arrows. i dont see any glue sqeezed out and in less than a dozen shots a fletching comes lose (usually) on the rear side? i'd rather see that glue myself reasuring me that it has enough. the last thing i want to happen is to lose a vane or have one come lose at the moment of truth. i am gonna do my own from now on that way i know i have enough glue. if you look at the dura vanes on the GT's you will notice glue well beyond all sides of the vanes and it doesnt seem to hurt anything. i fully expect to replace vanes every so often as i have a whisker biscuit rest but on the factory dura vanes they last a long long time before needing some attention

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glue

Bohning platinum. No white and great hold. A little really does go a long way though.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Use wraps. I switched to wraps last year just for the reason of easy vane removal and refletching. Best thing I ever did. I use plain white, super cheap, and super easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts