Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used many fletching glues over the past several years and have been very happy with the results with the "liquids" i.e. Goat Tuff and Fast Fletch. Recently I have been experiencing vanes stripping off after the 1st or 2nd shot.
I am using the same vanes...AAE, Blazers, Quick Spins that I have used in the past with no problems. I have switched bottles of glue to see if maybe it was bad. I am still seeing the same results. I am currently using Fast Fletch and have been very happy with the performance and price but I can't continue using it if this continues. Is anyone else having the same problem or maybe someone can offer an explanation. :confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shafts yes...vanes no. This has only started in the last month. Never had a problem in the past. There has been the occasional "missed glue" spot but that is obvious and definately "operator error".

·
Registered
384 Posts
Fletching

I had the same problem one time, it was the jig, make sure it has not slipped or moved, it only takes a small slip to mess it up, hope this helps

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check that out. Maybe the clamps are just wearing out and can't make good contact.

·
Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
Goat Tuff

Get some Goat Tuff glue and you won't have to prep anything. :)

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
for duravanes and quick spins i use goat tuff and water only to clean shaft. with blazers i use water to clean shaft and goat tuff but i spray the shaft with there accelarator. the blazers for some reason take longer for the glue to set up.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
I too am having problems. I've fletched my own target/hunting arrows for over 30 years but this last week has realy been a pain.
One combination that I know works is, GT arrows, vanetac vanes, and future glue.
I am trying to get blazer broadhead vanes to stick to Easton axis shafts but am having a heck of a time. Clean the shaft with acetone and /or scotch brite scrub, wrap or no wrap, future glue or goat tuff makes no difference. Some vanes will stick on and some don't . A little side pressure and it pops right off. The vane base is stiff from the cured glue but it just does not stick. I had the same prob with 4" vanetec, wraps and future glue. Two stuck, one just popped right off.
It's been a royal pain in the posterior.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Bob_Looney said:
I too am having problems. I've fletched my own target/hunting arrows for over 30 years but this last week has realy been a pain.
One combination that I know works is, GT arrows, vanetac vanes, and future glue.
I am trying to get blazer broadhead vanes to stick to Easton axis shafts but am having a heck of a time. Clean the shaft with acetone and /or scotch brite scrub, wrap or no wrap, future glue or goat tuff makes no difference. Some vanes will stick on and some don't . A little side pressure and it pops right off. The vane base is stiff from the cured glue but it just does not stick. I had the same prob with 4" vanetec, wraps and future glue. Two stuck, one just popped right off.
It's been a royal pain in the posterior.

Never use acetone on carbon arrows, it will break down the carbon fibers. I use 400 grit sandpaper, lightly sand the arrow. Then clean with denaatured alcohol. After that use some Goat Tuff and I will bet that you will not have a problem with vanes stripping off. You might have a problem with your clamp too. Good luck

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
by sanding the shaft, you are doing more damage than the acetone.

sanding the shaft will have the same effect as cutting across the grain in terms of relative strength. you break and damage the integrity of the individual fibers, which will create weak spots.

goat-tuff is not the single answer to anyone's adhesive issues. goat-tuff is a private label, existing formula from superglue corp. not some whipped up batch in someone's garage. i can get my own brand if i wanted to.

preperation is the key to getting a good bond. there are different factors which can effect the quality of the adhesion. dirt, grease and oils(fingerprints included) impurities in the cleaning agent, impurities and a substandard batch of glue, dirty/contaminated vane bases, release agents used in manufacturing, and sometimes, the accellerator used on the vane bases just doesnt play well with some ingredient in the glue. not using lint free materials can have a big effect too. the best item i have found for a wipe material is the blue mechanics paper towels. i cut em into 2-3" squares. stretches em out for a good long time.

acetone wiped across the shaft is not enuff to do damage to the whole shaft. 91% or better isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol is a fantastic degreaser and relatively cheap too. windex isnt a bad choice either.

put your vanes in the clamp, and using the clamp to hold the vane, wipe the base with your cleaning agent, avoiding any contact with your fingers. make sure you let it dry completely. dont blow on it, you can end up spitting on it and not know it. superglue is humidity cured.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
It could very well be the glue in some cases. Over a period of 4 days, I was using glue that was bad and did not know it. EVERY SINGLE ARROW that I fletched came back falling off. I switched glues and problems were solved.

If your using carbon arrows, and they just will not stick to it, take the sand paper and sand it down. Then clean it. It makes them stick 100% better.

Make sure to clean the vanes and the shaft.

OR.

If your using blazer vanes, DO NOT CLEAN THEM, and DO NOT USE INSTANT GLUE.

For blazers, clean the shaft, and use bohning fletch tite glue. That seems to be the only way to make them stick very well...

Good luck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hello,after cleaning the shaft I put glue on my fingers and rub it on the shaft let it dry for 5 min. then put the vane on and hold pressure for 10 sec.never had one come off,but the glue is murder to get off you hands,John...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I haven't used any graphite shafts except Carbon Express CXs and Gold Tip XTs but for those I glue on Blazer vanes with Saunders NPV and never have any problems. In fact, it is hard to take damaged vanes off. I wipe the shaft and the vane with lacquer thinner but suspect alcohol would work well too.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I was having the same problems with my GT's until I started to use rubbing alcohol on both the shafts and putting my fletchings in my clamp then using a light wipe of alcohol on them, let it dry,then use AAE fastset gel and haven't had anymore problems since. GOOD LUCKAND SHOOT STRONG!!!!

Bagger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts