Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
tims goat tuff is (in my opinion) the best, glues everything arrow related solid and fast.(15 secs) tried bohning platinum stuff fletches fell off. aae fast set gel would rate as my second choice, shot an arrow through a full tin can and straw target boss, the arrow went another 40yds and NO fletching damage.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Trying to learn...

Not trying to hyjack your post, but was going to ask about the same question.

I know nothing about any of them but do want to learn. I am not getting into fletching on a mass production scale but for what it cost to have them done, I am sure I can save time and money repairing my own.

If you could post any details on your choice I sure would appreciate it. (ie. drying time, better for carbon or aluminum, vanes or feathers}

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Either Fletch-tite platinum, of Flex Fletch Flex bond here...

I have gotten away from the super (cyanoacralate sp?) types for carbon arrows all together...just too hard to get the glue opff the shaft when it's time to refletch...

·
Registered
37,207 Posts
Ive used several over the years and was pretty much set with GoatTuff. But I found that it really had to be fresh. I since tried the LocTite super glue gel and wont buy anything else. First off you can get it at any hardware store and it cost alot less.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
fletching glue

I used Bohning fletch tite for years as well but when I switched from aluminum shafts to carbon this year I had trouble getting them to stick. I never had any trouble with Fletchtite on aluminum as long as I cleaned the shafts with acetone. I now use AAE quick set gel and it works great on carbon. The only complaints if you can call them that are a.) there is almost zero room for error. It adheres so quickly you have to make sure everything is lined up because once you press them to shaft they're stuck. the upside is that you can fletch an arrow (I use a single jo0jan fletcher) in less than 5 minutes. b.) once they are stuck, they are STUCK. Its a pain in the backside getting the vanes off the shaft to make a change or fix a torn vane. There is NO pulling them off. The upside is that you don't have to worry about them comming off at the wrong time.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
fletching glue

I used Bohning fletch tite for years as well but when I switched from aluminum shafts to carbon this year I had trouble getting vanes to stick. I never had any trouble with Fletchtite on aluminum as long as I cleaned the shafts with acetone. I now use AAE quick set gel and it works great on carbon. The only complaints if you can call them that are a.) there is almost zero room for error. It adheres so quickly you have to make sure everything is lined up because once you press them to shaft they're stuck. the upside is that you can fletch an arrow (I use a single jo0jan fletcher) in less than 5 minutes. b.) once they are stuck, they are STUCK. Its a pain in the backside getting the vanes off the shaft to make a change or fix a torn vane. There is NO pulling them off. The upside is that you don't have to worry about them comming off at the wrong time. One thing I really like about it is that it takes just a drop spread over the vane base in a very thin film to glue the vanes on. More is not better with AAE Fast set gel.

P.S. Be real careful that you don't get any of this stuff on your fingers because what ever you touch will be stuck to you fingers. Its a good idea to keep some acetone or fingernail polich handy just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tried the steel force beyond bond and it just does not dry fast enough for me.. the Bohning Quantam glue drys as soon as your fletching makes contact with your shaft! Its not going anywhere!! Also I have learned that it will stick even better if you wrap the shaft of you arrow..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.