Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO PREP YOUR SHAFTS WITH. AS FAR AS STRIPPING OFF OLD FEATHERS AND REMOVING THE OLD GLUE. I`VE BEEN USING A RAZOR BLADE AND DENATURED ALCOHOL BUT IT`S TAKING SMALL STRIPS OFF OF MY CARBON ARROWS.

THANKS FOLKS

·
Registered
642 Posts
Dito to what Joe said....I use an old Gerber Gator that is dull..never could keep that thing sharp :p ...and it works reall nice stripping fletching's off without damaging the carbon :eek:

·
Registered
788 Posts
i use a kitchen scourer pad made from stainless steel,(not a scotch pad)doesn't damage the carbons at all.and it removes bits of fletching and glue easily.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use a dull knife and hold at an angle to scrape off the old glue, very light pressure here. Next I take some 4/0 steel wool and stroke the shaft while holding the steel wool between your index and thumb, apply a little pressure, if you missed glue it will shine. After all glue is off, next i get in the kitchen sink and put a very small amount of Ajax, Comet, type cleaner on a old rag lightly dampened and scrub shaft. rinse with insert held down so no water gets inside or use another wet rag to rinse with. Then I take a rag and apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol , just turn up bottle with rag against it, rub shaft down and then dry it with another part of the rag. Then I fletch it. I use only feathers and I have yet to have one come off on complete passthroughs. Oh yeah, I use Saunders NPV glue, works great for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
arrow prep

I bought this nifty fletch stripper by Storm archery at Nelsonville IBO shoot it work really well. Way better than razor blade,very safe my 9 year old can use it!!!! Does not gouge may Gold tip XT's. Good luck sts3d.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
arrow prep

I bought this nifty fletch stripper by Storm archery at Nelsonville IBO shoot it works really well. Way better than razor blade,very safe my 9 year old can use it!!!! Does not gouge my Gold tip XT's. Good luck sts3d.

·
Registered
524 Posts
serrated blade knife

I use a Leatherman tool for stripping of old fletching, It´s perfet since it has only one side of the blade sharpened so instead of a V-shaped blade it has a half V-shape wich makes it harder to damage the carbon, I use this method for ACE´s which are very brittle and easilly damaged and I´ve never had a problem.'

my 0.02$

Magnus Edström

1 - 9 of 9 Posts