Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start fletching my own arrows but need advice and direction.

Should I use a Helix or straight jig? Was told by one person to stay away from Helix!

Is the Bohning a good jig and if so which one?

Can I replace one vane (seems to be the case that only one gets ripped) or do I havbe to do all three?

I am not a professional just a novice shooter/hunter trying to save some bucks.

I currently shoot the Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 5575 with the stock Blazer 2" vanes for both hunting and 3D.

Any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You need to decide which YOU want to use. I use both and have three jigs. Two straight and one helical. One straight and one helical are Bohning and I have an OLD Miller Master fletcher that I've had probably forty years. I use them all. If you are shooting the shafts and vanes you list above, you might want to look at a different jig. Whatever you decide to get, spend what you need to to get what works best for your set-up. You will probably have the jig for a LOT of years if you take care of it. They are not prone to wearing out.

Oh, and yes, you can replace one fletch.

·
THE BAR Bartender
21,269 Posts
I use the Bohning Tower jig. I have both the helical and the 2degree fletched. I use the 2degree almost exclusively with the 2 inch Blazers. Most of their factory arrows with the 2 inch Blazer vanes are 2 degree. It's easy and fun, 3 vanes at a time only a couple minutes per arrow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kerry, Why would I need to look at a different Jig because of the shafts I am shooting? I dont want to sink $$$ into something I can't use please expalin.

You need to decide which YOU want to use. I use both and have three jigs. Two straight and one helical. One straight and one helical are Bohning and I have an OLD Miller Master fletcher that I've had probably forty years. I use them all. If you are shooting the shafts and vanes you list above, you might want to look at a different jig. Whatever you decide to get, spend what you need to to get what works best for your set-up. You will probably have the jig for a LOT of years if you take care of it. They are not prone to wearing out.

Oh, and yes, you can replace one fletch.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I really like my bohning proclass jig cheap and simple. I prefer helical on any vane especially blazers. Bohning recommends a 3 degree right helical for blazers to get them to work the best with broad heads.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
AZ Mini jig. $42 tyd on eBay. Nasty right helical and fletches all three vanes at once. I own a Grayling, Bitz and AZ.....AZ gets the thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I like the bitz ,u can adj to what u want . This jig will do straight , helical and offset . I personally fletch with helical and jig set with offset in it to .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I use the same shafts and vanes and have a bohning pro class with a straight clamp and it works great. Im gonna pivk up a helical clamp soon... also make sure and use loctite uktra control gel glue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
x222 !
bitzenberger jig rt helix

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
AZ Mini jig. $42 tyd on eBay. Nasty right helical and fletches all three vanes at once. I own a Grayling, Bitz and AZ.....AZ gets the thumbs up from me.
Arizona Mini here too! Works great on 2" vanes and i fletch mine 3 degree right helical and i can replace 1 vane if necessary.

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
You need to decide.
There is nothing wrong with straight or helical and anything in between you just have to understand the trade offs.
In the simplest of terms...not taking into account normal air friction...

Straight has the least amount of gyroscopic stabilization, but has the least amount of arrow speed bleed off.
Max helical has the fastest stabilization but bleeds off arrow speed the fastest.
And of course everything in between.

So the closer you shoot, you may want to have the most helical, the further you shot the less.
I have both in my quiver for 3-d.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the tremendous amount of help. I will try and digest it all and make an better informded decision soon.
You need to decide.
There is nothing wrong with straight or helical and anything in between you just have to understand the trade offs.
In the simplest of terms...not taking into account normal air friction...

Straight has the least amount of gyroscopic stabilization, but has the least amount of arrow speed bleed off.
Max helical has the fastest stabilization but bleeds off arrow speed the fastest.
And of course everything in between.

So the closer you shoot, you may want to have the most helical, the further you shot the less.
I have both in my quiver for 3-d.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts