Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one have any suggestions as to lenght of fletching .chances are illl be shooting x78's2419 at full lenght.all to determaned by f.o.c.but am curious as to lenght and hight of my fletching any suggestions.or pros and cons...thanks hawk thrower

·
Registered
453 Posts
I shot full length 2419's back 18 years ago when I was shooting a 120 pound draw longbow. I had to go to 4 fletch, 5" feathers to get them to shoot good with 160 grain broadheads. They did fine with 5" 3 fletch as long as I shot field points.

But I came to my senses and bought a 55 pound recurve before I completely wrecked my shoulders, so I didn't do a whole lot more experimenting with the logs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i shoot five inch left wing parabolic cut. i want the five inch to stablalize my arrow as quick as possible. i shoot a recurve 53# @ 29". 30" 2117 with 125 grain broadheads. they fly like darts. field points and broadheads.
don

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hawk, What draw and poundage are you shooting? 5 or 5 1/2 inch shield or parabolic should work in most cases. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive decided to go with a saxon hawk recurve62'' long and a finished draw weight of67lbs.its a 65lbs bow at 28'' and i draw 29''i called saxon and the said it would be right around a 67-68lbs

·
Registered
453 Posts
YOU LOUSY DOG!! That's the bow I want! :D

2419's are a heckuva lot of arrow for a 68 pound recurve at 29" draw. If you're going by the current standard Easton chart, you need to rethink because it's all fouled up for their recurve selection. WAY too stiff.

Using the Legacy shaft selector on Easton's website, going for a 30" arrow at your draw weight, it shows either a 2219 or 2315.

Another thing you can do is call Saxon and ask Randy what size arrow he recommends for that bow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your replys.i will go with 5 inch feathers.but still confused :confused:on left or right helical.wouldnt left helical loosin broad heads thanks ...hawk

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah they tend to loosen your heads, but not to the point where they fall off or anything like that. you could put a small rubber o-ring on where it screws in and that should take care of it.
don

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just read the archive on helicals and from i took from them was that a right handed shooter should use a left helicaland vice versa for lefthande shooters .but unclear as to why? thanks hawk

·
Registered
380 Posts
that info is wrong. it does not matter if you are right or left handed shooter. the only thing that does matter is that you do not mix right wing feathers and left wing feathers on the same arrow. it's just a matter of preference. i shoot left because thats what was available when i wanted feathers. i stay with them because i bought a left jig and left cutter and i buy full length feathers by the hundred. if you shoot a bow off your hand instead of a shelf or rest then left wing feathers will not cut into your hand but right will.
don

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don's got it nailed on the left wing/right wing thing.

To keep your points from loosening, you can work some bowstring wax into the threads before you screw them in. The wax will also keep the threads from siezing up. Shooting a lot in hot weather (at least Texas hot) you need to replace the wax every week or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanksyour reply was very clear and helpfull. i think ill goe with right helical.any suggestion on how much helical.thanks ...hawk:p

·
Registered
380 Posts
if your going to fletch your own arrows you can experiment. what i noticed for my own setup was that how much or how little helical i fletched the arrow made little difference. what did matter was having the correct arrow. it doesn't matter how your feathers are setup if your arrows are wrong. if your planning on shooting a lot, it is well worth it to fletch your own. it's very easy. hope i helped.
don

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I am right handed and have shot with left and right feathers, cant tell any difference in flight or point of impact.:) 5" all the way. Happy Huntin' PS Be shure your spine is correct for your set up. MOST important thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts