Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a dozen Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, when I fletched them with blazers with fletchtite glue I only got about 2 shots out of each of em, the glue is new. Any suggestions on what to do next?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say prep the shafts do you mean rub the alcohol on the shafts?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
when I do carbon shafts I use laquer thinner and a scotchbrite pad then dry with a paper towel aluminum or fmj I just wipe with thinner

·
Premium Member
6,257 Posts
I use an alcohol prep pad on each shaft. Then use goat tuff. Never have lost a vane. Just for your info new glue can be bad glue. I did run into that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not tryin to jack thread but I too am having issues with same glue too and I prep it up with alcohol and scotch brite. And still same results.

·
www.archery-zone.com
1,200 Posts
Use very little glue just enough to make the vane shiny if it squeezes out it was too much. This was my biggest problem I thought more was better I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
wow i have never really prepped a shaft. all i do is strip off the old vane with a gasket scraper get it all off and glue off then install vanes. i only use super glue type glue. i have never had a failure with loctite control tip gel, goat tuff, gorrila super glue. the goat tuff is some super strong stuff by far the best bond, but i use the loctite alot also because i love the tip on it very easy to control the amount and location. i have used several types of vanes with these glues also even ones that people have trouble using because they say they dont bond well. the best dollar for dollar glue in my mine is the loctite because its so easy to use, and the tip never clogs.

·
Den Bow's Custom Arrows
4,708 Posts
also make sure you clean the contact surface of the Blazer with alchol. I put some on a qtip clean the surface area, let dry then fletch.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I didn't see anyone ask where the glue was after the fletch came off?
Is it on the vane or on the shaft or both?

If it's still on the shaft then I would say you need to do a better Job of cleaning the fletch
If it's on the fletch clean the shaft better.
If it's on both change your glue it's failing.

I like the Bohning fletchtite because it is flexible and seems to give a little with an impact. My experience with superglue type adhesives is that it breaks on impacts.

Lastly I would confirm that you are getting adequate vane clearance on your arrow rest.

Just my thoughts good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cleaned both the shafts and the blazers and now they are doing just fine. Thanks for all the tips

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
nice i was just looking for a thread about this cause im having same issue with my blazers. i thought it might be that they arent holding well with my wraps. i forget the glue i used but i did a set at my bow shop and had vanes fly off mid air. i inspected my other arrows and you could just pull slightly on the center of the vane and they woudl start to pull away from the shafts.i wiped down my shafts with alcohol and now after reading this thread i think i know the prob. it almost look like there was hardly any glue on the vane/fletch, most was on the shaft so im thinking i need to clean the blazer before applying. also i was using one of the fletch bolt types . 3 vanes at one time with axis nano shafts. that wouldnt matter would it?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Hi LiveBlue23
The vanes typically have a release agent on them so I find it best to remove that. Some vane manufactures have introduced a catalyst into the glue that is supposed to overcome the release agent but I don't trust it. Doesn't take that long to clean them so I always do. The jig may also be contributing to the problem if it isn't applying even pressure on the vane. I'm not familiar with that jig so I won't speculate, just take a close look at it while the vane is being applied.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The UC Berkeley Club uses a shaft and vane preparation protocol that can be found here: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~archery/newsite/?page_id=75

The protocols were adopted from the procedures used to prepare surfaces for the mounting of strain gages. We had a recent experience where we received a large number of pre-made arrows for our club, and most of the vanes fell off. We decided to re-fletch all of the club arrows, over 150, and wanted to be sure that the new vanes adhered well. Thus the purpose for writing the preparation protocols.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
well i finally decided i want to buy my own jig and equipment to fletch my own arrows. after looking around i ended up getting a Bohning Company
Blazer Str8 Fletching Jig and Eastman Outdoors CX Expressbond. both items had really good reviews so i hope they work out great for me. im excited to just be able to fletch my own arrows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts