Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fletched arrows before, but been a while now I can not get feathers to stick. I have tried Goat Tuff, Bohning Instant Gel, Aae fastset.

I even hold the clamp on the shaft (Bitzenburger) for 30 seconds and then leave for another 30 seconds. seems that at least 1 out of 3 feathers does not dry, and comes right off.

What am I doing wrong, everything is set up Rh Helical, and not an extreme turn.

Vanes seem to be gluing fine, but feathers which are RH are being a royal pain.

Do you do anything to prep the shaft?
How much more accurate are 4" feathers going to be than 4" vanes?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I use the same setup as you, and when I glue vanes on they set in about a minute or so. Feathers take 20-30 minutes per feather before you can move on to the next one. Let them set, take your time!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Loc-Tite Super Glue Gel. I got some arrows I did 2 years ago with it and they are stuck!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Prep the shafts by wiping them with denatured alcohol.I only use Bohning Platinum on feathers and wait at least an hour before moving to the next one,works everytime.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I guess waiting a couple minutes was my problem.. Always in a hurry.

Denny

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have the same set up you have
I use fletch-tite glue
clean arrows with acetone
put feather in clamp apply glue put in jig
let sit 5min un clamp move jig to next position and repeat
stand arrow aginst wall let sit over night
never had a feather come off
I broke an arrow put half on my car antenna over a year ago feathers still there

Mike

·
Registered
967 Posts
i have used goat tuff but switched to loc-tite gel and its just as good but cheaper.make shure with feathers you put a good bead of glue on the bases.i wasnt and figured it out and started to put a good bead on them and all has been well, heck i have glued 3 feathers on a shaft in 5 mins and shot it right after no problem.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Bohning Feather Adhesive Tape. I love it. I let mine set just long enough to run a toothpick between the quill and the clamp to ensure all of the tape is adhered. No cure time needed for the tape.

I tried the Bohning Platinum, Fletch-It, and Loc-Tite Super Glue Gel and had good results with all of them, but nothing compares to ease of use of the tape.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Bohning FTP and Gorilla work (FTP is better and dries clear, though). I leave them clamped 4-5 minutes each then a drop at each end. They never fall off.

I prep them either with hot soapy water and air drying or I wipe them with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohole. They all seem to work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts