Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got a Bitz this week and just started fletching. All I've done so far is put some 4 inch feathers on to replace damaged on some current arrows.

My question is, while I know there are a lot of options, how do you decide what to go with. What are the tradeoffs.

I know this is pretty vague, but any tips on how to get started would be appreciated.

OK, how about a specific question too. How long does it take Bohning Fletch Tight Platumum to set.

Thanks

·
(aka lug nut)
48,288 Posts
Aggie94 said:
OK, I got a Bitz this week and just started fletching. All I've done so far is put some 4 inch feathers on to replace damaged on some current arrows.

My question is, while I know there are a lot of options, how do you decide what to go with. What are the tradeoffs.

I know this is pretty vague, but any tips on how to get started would be appreciated.

OK, how about a specific question too. How long does it take Bohning Fletch Tight Platumum to set.

Thanks
Straight clamp or helical clamp.

Helical clamp is going to make your vanes or feathers
like a cork screw. Lots of rotation. Stabilizes a broadhead the quickest.
Great for larger feathers and long vanes.

You can try using a helical clamp for a 2-inch blazer,
but the blazer is so short, there's not much effect.

A helical clamp installation for vanes or feathers
is not good for a long range target shooter trying to reach 90 meters (about 100 yards in the Olympics). Too much drag. A helical installed vane will lose lots of speed after about 50 yds. Target shooter who try to reach 90 meters also don't use 4-inch vanes, so no worries.

Straight clamp, with the top dial rotated a little to the right,
and the bottom dial right at 12-o'clock.

Just a little bit of offset. Just enough to get the arrow spinning.
This is the preferred 2-degree offset that most target shooter
who shoot long range are looking for. Just enough offset to get the arrow
to spin, but not too much offset to keep maximum long distance range.

Arrow wraps.

Arrow wraps add weight
and they make sticking a feather or a plastic vane onto the arrow
shaft much easier.

Adding a little bit of weight (half sheet of arrow wrap = 4 grains or so)
(full sheet of arrow wrap is 8-10 grains depending on the manufacturer)
will make an arrow behave a little stiffer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Up till now, I've always shot with 4" feathers or vanes, since that's how pre-made arrows tend to come.

I ordered the Bitz with a RH clamp, figuring that I would eventually get a straight as well.

Now, for hunting (fixed blades), is there any reason to consider shorter fletching? I know some say they've had good luck with the blazers. I'm a little partial to feathers, as I've had better luck with them in the past. What I suspect is that the feathers are a little more forgiving (cover up my mistakes better). Of course, I also just like the way feathers look, so maybe I'm biased. Would there be any merit to trying say 3" feathers with fixed blades, or am I just asking for trouble. Or is it something I just have to try and see what works for me?

For say a 3D setup where distances are under 50 yds, is there any advantage there to helical? Does spinning the arrow more quickly when using field points help? Or do most 3D shooters perfer to keep the drag low to maintain speed?

One last thing (for now), should FOC play a roll in what fletching I choose? That is, if I have a high FOC could I get away with smaller fletching, or if my FOC is already on the low side, would larger fletching help make up the stability?

Again, thanks for the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts