Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,801 Posts
just started using tape this year,will prob never use anything else again, absolutely love it!

went to a 3d shoot with temps in the low 20s,

and even with burying arrows in the snow/dirt/hitting branches my feathers stayed stuck tight, bonus :)

definitely put a dab of glue at the front and rear of the feather though,for added insurance.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
I had some feather migrate in the middle and lay down in hot weather. I use both tape and glue.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
feather -

I haven't had good luck with it. Both in using it (all thumbs) and the migration that red mentioned.

The best I've found for feathers or vanes these days, is the Bob Smith Maxi-cure.
And no, not all CAs are not created equal.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
Works fine in summer and winter. Though I dont use it anymore, noticed that my taped feathers have almost no helical compared to the ones i glued on.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It works great! Don't listen to the naysayers......it's all I'll ever use. BTW, I do add just a teeny bit of CA gel at the fore/aft end of each feather for added strength.
Got an arrow downstairs that blew thru a deer in Dec. and fletching didn't budge. I also shoot a strong helical-zero issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have great luck with it. Shot arrows through critters, bales, and into the grass and dirt. The feathers wear out before the tape will let go. Only thing I use on my feathers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use fletching tape, and have strong helical angles on my fletching. In the warmer months I have no issues with it so long as I dab glue at the front and back, but in the winter I either have to dial back my helical angle, or run a line of glue along the edge as well as top and back. I had 3 arrows lose fletching shooting in 15-20*F weather this winter.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I used glue (Fletch-tite) for years but noticed that it became brittle when left in the cold (out in my garage). I'd have feathers zing off in midflight.

I've been using Bohning's fletch tape for 2 years now and so far it's held up perfectly. I don't leave them out in the heat, but I've left them in the cold garage as a test and they seem to do better than the glue. I also add a drop of glue to the front and back of each feather.

It's a lot faster using tape when fletching arrows, but it also requires me to really take my time on placement because there is no room for error when setting the feather.

I'd say give it a try, I did and have not noticed any down sides yet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Was a big fan of the tape. Easy and quick to install. Main Pro for me was much easier clean up for refleching. Used to drop the super glue on the edges. Middle of the fletch eventually will start to shift, especially if it is hot outside (or when you leave the arrow tube in the car). Switched back to fletchtite over the wrap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to use fletch tape an loved it, however when I shot in cold weather ( less than 0F) the feathers would fall off the arrow mid flight. It might be because I always had a cresting wrap on my arrows, but I very quickly got tired of it. They worked great in the summer though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Tried it didn't like it. Didn't bond well. I use loctite super glue gel. Haven't had one turn loose yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use it exclusively. It seems to work great for me. I can say that it holds up in cold weather, but I live in upstate New York, so I probably don't see the real hot side of it. I also use a dab of duco cement on the front and back of the feather.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts