Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a terible time getting my vanes to stay on my goldtips.When i fletched them i scuffed them up with 4/0 steel wool then cleaned them with denatured alcohol.I was using fletchtite for glue and an arizona easy fletch jig.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Same problem as you, switched to Bohning Instant Gel, great stuff.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I have never had any luck with fleth tite to hold on carbons. However I have had great luck with super glue gel. It requires less prep and bonds much faster. I have been using it for several years on my Gold Tips.

·
Occam's Razor
8,335 Posts
Did you wipe the base of the vanes off too?...................ck

·
Registered
212 Posts
They use goat tuff here at the local shop & make a fortune refletching all the arrows with the feathers & vanes falling off.:rolleyes: I'm glad some have had good luck with it but that hasn't been my experience or what i have seen from it.

I clean any arrow i fletch with at least 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol & the use either Flex-Bond or Fletch-tite glue. Also if using vanes be sure to clean the base of the vane. I give them about 20 minutes drying time per feather & so far i have never had a vane or feather come off that i didn't want to come off...............................................................DF1

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Goat Tuff here too. It's weird how a it doens't work for a select few?? I have to CUT my damaged fletches off my Bemans with that stuff.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Jason

If your in a hurry... try some GOAT TUFF
If you got the time and want to save some money... Flex-Bond.

What kind of vanes are you using?? DUBBYA ARE

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
What kind of fletchings are you using??? Most likely, it's the release agent on the fletches that's causing your problems... I mostly shoot Gold Tips, and fletch ALL my own arrows(and for a bunch of my friends)... The surface of the Gold Tips is plenty rough enough(and you want it a little rough, not too glossy, for good adhesion), without any special prep... I use Bohning fletches, and Bond Tite(it's made ESPECIALLY for carbons), wipe down the shaft, and the base of the fletch with rubbing alcohol(91% or better), and have never had a single fletch come off... In fact, whenever one gets torn, I try to pull the rest of it off, and always end up having to cut them off... I'll bet that if you switched to Bond-Tite, and wiped down your fletching base with a solvent(acetone, laquer thinner, etc...), or used Bohnings and rubbing alcohol, you won't have any more problems - that's one of the reasons why I like Bohnings - their mold release agent will easily come off with rubbing alcohol... Bohnings are very durable, too... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
fletchtite is for aluminum or wood arrows, it will not adhere
well to carbons.. I learned this several years ago the hard
way also... you can use bondtite(which is in the same family
as fletchtite, but specifically for carbon) or one of the instant
gels for carbons on the market.. I personally don't care for
the gels too much.. I like the bondtite a lot...I haven't bought
it in a while, hope it's still available...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wipe down the GT shafts and vanes with Acetone then use Bond tite to apply. I also apply a drop of glue on each end of the vane after they are dry. I tear up vanes, but they never come off. I have to cut them off.

·
Registered
795 Posts
:) If you put a Duravane on a clean shaft with Duraloc glue you can't pull it off with out a pliers. Even then most or all of the base will stay on. I clean Gold Tips with hot soapy water and rince immediately. Do not do anything to base of the vane if you use Duraloc glue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now for something completely different:

I just fletched 150 arrows for the club I belong to... alu and carbon.

You don't have the time to use slow bonding glue then, so i used cyano acrylate gel.

Had some problems with some type of vanes, until I started using an CA acellerator called zip kicker.

Apply some of that stuff on the arrow when it's in the jig,
clean the vane, apply the glue gel to the vane and stick it on: you can't believe how fast it hardens (less than 1 second).

If you make a mistake you have to cut it off, even after a few seconds.

No more waiting: vane on, clamp off and no more white residue.

After 450 vanes I LOVE that stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts