Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into archery came over from firearm I am just tired if dealing with the prices and the shortages of firearms anyway on to the topic. Why would you build your own arrows over buying them in the store? I reload my own ammo but I have reasons for that I am just wanting to know what are the advantages/ disadvantages and what do you gain from it

·
Registered
25,066 Posts
I rather just do it all myself. Shops here open and close constantly and most of the staff at these places are meh at best honestly. Arizona ez fletch is fast and simple, no reason not to.

Reactions: Bricktoast

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sawtooth do you gain anything from it. When I reload ammo I am doing it for a purpose other than to just do it. Do you gain any advantage. The only advantage I see is that you choose the color of your fletchings

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s the same reason I hand load. Most shops throw them together without any attention to detail. A dozen from a manufacturer isn’t much better. I’m able to get better results building my own arrows. I’m able to pay attention to every detail and the end result is an arrow that flys exactly how I want. My latest dozen has a finished variance of .8 grns over a dozen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It’s the same reason I hand load. Most shops throw them together without any attention to detail. A dozen from a manufacturer isn’t much better. I’m able to get better results building my own arrows. I’m able to pay attention to every detail and the end result is an arrow that flys exactly how I want. My latest dozen has a finished variance of .8 grns over a dozen.
I asked my coach years ago "Who Makes The Best Arrow?". His response was " You Do". When I asked about stings I got the same answer do I started making my own stings and fletching my own arrows.

The biggest advantage is if you do a lot of indoor/outdoor shooting you can make up your arrows for the task at hand. If you practice hard enough you will tear up your fletching, another reason. You also want consistency in your equipment and only you can count on that.

It's also cheaper to re fletch your arrows that buying a new set every few months.

For indoor shooting I use 5 inch feathers set to a helical orientation. I believe that the added spin will help stabilize my shot while they are trying to hit the center.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do it because I bought the arrows as shafts so I could baresfat tune them. But even if I bought them pre-made, I would like to have the ability to repair the fletchings. Other than that, I dont have any reason to refletch arrows. Maybe you could play with the amount of spin/drag an arrow has but it would be minimal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All the above.Plus a lot is learned , tuning for one. I use wood, bought some from well known outfit the nock tappers were not concentric to the shaft. For me when they fly like a laser beam and it's my work I 😁.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
If you shoot much, you are going to have to re-fletch at some time. I do everything but cut arrows. I have an ASD and three Bitz's. At $0.50 - $1.00 / arrow to cut if you don't buy them from them, it just isn't cost efficient to buy a cutter for me. I have been fletching for over 50 years so I think I am money ahead.
Ches.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
22 years ago I started fletching my own arrows because the closet arrow builder was 50 miles away round trip.
I had the guy build me a dozen arrows, waited two weeks and when I went to pick them up he had the wrong shafts with the wrong color vanes. I bought a bits jig and quickly figured out it’s a simple process to fletch arrows and didn’t take long to get good at doing it. It’s for me an enjoyable and relaxing activity.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am just getting back into archery came over from firearm I am just tired if dealing with the prices and the shortages of firearms anyway on to the topic. Why would you build your own arrows over buying them in the store? I reload my own ammo but I have reasons for that I am just wanting to know what are the advantages/ disadvantages and what do you gain from it
Other reasons: before I started fletching, I bought one batch of arrows from a shop and all the vanes fell off the first time they got rained on. I ordered another batch another time online specifically helical, which was their offered option. They just sent me 2° offset factory fletched. They corrected it, but I had to ship them back and wait. Another batch came 1.5" longer than specified. After that, I bought my own arrow saw. I have no regrets now, building all my own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before I left high school (thousands of years ago) I had arrow making equipment, including a fletching/nocking jig and a feather burner/shaper that was given to me by a beloved sportsman uncle. After I returned from college with a mind filled with mush, I found the equipment missing, presumably taken by a relative that assumed I didn't want it.
Nerts.
Anyway, I've been buying my wooden arrows ever since, but I'd still like to get back into making my own.
If anyone on this thread can offer up any references for good (and affordable) jigs, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I try to be as self reliant as is reasonable. I also change my arrows a lot.
i bitz w/ zenith kit , saw, square and spinner was no more than a couple dozen pre builts.
Now I have boxes of different fletchings, inserts, wraps and can throw together just about any build I dream up.
Makes tuning w/ my longbow much more efficient.

·
Huntoholic
1,967 Posts
The reason I started fletching was that I got tired if hauling them down to a shop to get done, and over the years it has expanded to complete building. If you enjoy hand loading your own ammo you are going to enjoy building you own arrows.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts